Author Topic: Ann Vowles, b.c.1781 Yatton, Somerset  (Read 1318 times)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Vowles, b.c.1781 Yatton, Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 September 22 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

I totally agree about censuses and the notion that an adult may have an inaccurate idea of where they were born.

Also agreed about DNA... to a point. I confess I only half understand this stuff, but I tend to use it as a clue to which trees to look at, and to where a common ancestor might be found. I appreciate that especially as you get further back, the best that might reasonably be said - as in this case - is that these DNA matches probably had ancestry going back to the same area and the same group of families. In some cases they may actually have specific ancestors in common, but it's not safe to assume this is the case. Nevertheless, it still seems useful to point you in the right direction if enough DNA matches also point that way I think.

I've always started from modern times and worked backwards through the paper trail as rigorously as possible, ignoring other people's trees and relying solely on the evidence. Sooner or late though the evidence runs out or there's no way of choosing between multiple possible baptisms, marriages,etc. - again, just as in this case. At that point I think it's worth looking at DNA matches, with all the provisos already mentioned taken into account, just in case it's possible to identify an ancestor further down the line and then work backwards to the brick wall. At least that's my theory! I don't know how often it can work in practice - certainly in this case whilst I'm confident that Wedmore is the epicentre of the various Vowles lineages, including mine, there are just so many Vowles in the area, all with similar names, that it seems impossible to confidently say 'this is the one'.

I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong however and either say unequivocally 'this is the one' or suggest a new line of enquiry!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 September 22 09:29 BST (UK) »
To answer your questions baytree1970.

Alfred Gould's bapt is on FreeREG 1846, sorry dont know how to shrink the link.
Cant see Hellen.
www.freereg.org.uk

Its also on Anc.

1861 Alfred is in Gloucestershire.

GOULD, ALFRED       -  nmmn
GRO Reference: 1839  J Quarter in AXBRIDGE UNION  Volume 10  Page 307

Cant see a birth reg for Helen but maybe?
GOULD, EMMA  GOULD     - 
GRO Reference: 1838  M Quarter in AXBRIDGE UNION  Volume 10  Page 314

And yes now GRO is up again I can confirm Elizabeth Cox was not your Elizabeth Gould;

COX, ROBERT mmn SPERRIN 
GRO Reference: 1849  J Quarter in AXBRIDGE UNION  Volume 10  Page 327
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 September 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
Yes I knew that burial was for an earlier Ann.
I was just trying to give you for the age of the Ann buried that year as posted by Queenie
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 September 22 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish and baytree,

I too checked the baptism for Alfred -  but baytree's Alfred could only be the one baptised 1846 if not baptised shortly following birth, but at about age 7. Apparently in the 1841 census he is 2 and in 1851 12 years old. You'd need to see the original baptism record to see if it says anything else such as the child's age.

Similarly I can't find any baptism for Hellen/Ellen. Are we absolutely sure her surname was Gould? I haven't seen the census record. Could she be a grandchild by the (married) daughter Ellen for instance?
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 September 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for everyone's help on this.

I think with Alfred I'm satisfied that he's Ann's grandson and that the census returns which have them living together must be the correct ones.

The main issue remains Ann and her lineage. There are possibilities, but how to choose between them?