Author Topic: Chappell Family - Keynsham, Sommerset and Bristol  (Read 1647 times)

Offline kchappell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chappell Family - Keynsham, Sommerset and Bristol
« on: Monday 26 September 22 18:08 BST (UK) »
My ancestors lived in Keysham, Somerset.
I am particularly interested in finding out more about my ancestor, Thomas Chappell (born 1790) who married Hannah Purnell in 1807. His parents were Thomas Chappell and Mary Stradling (born in the 1750/60s). If anyone has any information, please reply to this post.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Chappell Family - Keynsham, Sommerset and Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 22 22:53 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the Surname Interests Board?  Scroll to bottom of this page & the link is under TOOLS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 07:18 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

We really need to know what sort of information you are after so that we do not spend time looking for what you already have
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 07:31 BST (UK) »

How have you come by the information you are using ie parents for  Thomas CHAPPELL  and born 1790?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 08:01 BST (UK) »
The marriage took place on 3 July 1808 - St Michael the Archangel in Bristol.  Both parties said to be of the parish.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline kchappell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 08:56 BST (UK) »
I got most of my information from ancestry/find-my-past. But from Thomas Chappell (born 1790), my information is limited and I am unsure if I have the right family. I think his parents are mostly accurate but everything else, not sure. I know of his marriage. I read a article about two Chappell families that lived in Keynsham - one was the famous Chappell Bros family and the other was mine. It said that my Chappell family were a long standing family of Keynsham which got me interested. I guess I want to know how I can access more information about this. Getting information about my family is already a long shot as I know that my line is the only line with Chappells still alive.
I will try the surname interests board.

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hello kchappell

< It said that my Chappell family were a long standing family of Keynsham which got me interested>

There were/are thousands of Chappell/Chapel/Chaple/Chapples in Somerset. Why do you beleive you are descended from a family in Keynsham?

I see (FreeReg) Thomas Chapple/Chappel married Mary Stradling in 1782 in St John's church, Wellington, Somerset (married there myself). Mary is shown as a 'sojourner'.
(I went to primary school in the 50s with Stradling girls in Wellington - beside the point.)

So you think this Thomas came from Keynsham? Do you have some reason to think he and Mary went to live there, raised children there? Do you have an occupation for any of them?
By the way, if their son Thomas b. 1790 (do you have a baptism?) married in 1807 or 8 in Bristol he was only 17 or 18. Is this likely for a 'long-standing' family?

ahha... just found (FreeReg) that Thomas and Mary had a son Thomas baptised in Wellington in 1801 - he had been born in 1784. Definitely the same family - mother "née Stradling".

There is a second somewhat unusual transcription also on FreeReg of a Hannah Chapple born to Thomas and Mary Chapple in 1791 (father a weaver) and baptised in Wellington 1834. A note says "wife of William Webber".
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 16:58 BST (UK) »
There is a parish register image on Ancestry for the 1834 baptism of Hannah (Chapple) wife of William Webber - 10 July 1834, born 15 August 1791.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline kchappell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thomas Chappell and Hannah Purnell had four sons and a daughter. Their third son, George (not my direct ancestor) was the person of interest in the article or more, his daughters and their children - that's from where I got the 'long-standing' quote. Since then I've found that George Chappell was a farmer, owned 400 acres in Keysham and took in his nephew, my direct ancestor when he was a child. Their second son, Charles is my direct ancestor. He was born in 1811, baptised on the 12th June 1812 at St John's, Keynsham.

As for Thomas Chappell, I believe I got his birth year from another tree (ancestry) - not sure to be honest.