Author Topic: Chappell Family - Keynsham, Sommerset and Bristol  (Read 1648 times)

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chappell Family - Keynsham, Sommerset and Bristol
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information.

I'd conclude after reading it that the idea that Thomas and Mary, née Stradling, from Wellington were Thomas' parents (Hannah's parents-in-law, Charles and George's grandparents) is probably erroneous.

Again, all from FreeReg, I see that apart from the transcription of Charles' baptism in 1812, those of John Purnell (1815), George (1819), Louisa and Hannah (twins? bp same day 1825) all state that the father Thomas was a butcher. There might be some kind of trade directory that would help find his father, if he were also a butcher perhaps in the 1820s-1850s (eg. X Chappell and Son, Butchers of Keynsham). Just a thought.

Furthermore, if you search for all Chappell baptisms in Keynsham between 1775 and 1800 you get 7 results, all the children of James and Sarah née Perriman, starting with Thomas Cantle Chappell baptised in 1786, and including a John, a George and a Charles (forenames of your known ancestors.) Could this be your Thomas who married Hannah in 1808?

Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline kchappell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 10:39 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, Charles Chappell (baptised 1812) married a Frances Chappell (their marriage certificate details her father, Thomas as a butcher). So maybe the Thomas that I thought was Charles' Father is in fact Frances's Father  ???.
Frances, I don't know much about, other than I think she was born in 1810. Her father is down as deceased on her marriage certificate. She sometimes goes as Fanny.

I've done some research into James Chappell who married Sarah Periman [Perryman) Cantle on the 25th July 1785 by license. According to the record, James was a widower. There's a death for James in 1834 and a baptism in 1761. Them having a son called Thomas Cantle Chappell makes sense but other than his baptism in 1885, I can't find a marriage.

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 12:02 BST (UK) »
<Them having a son called Thomas Cantle Chappell makes sense but other than his baptism in 1885, I can't find a marriage>

Correction: his baptism was 1786, and BumbleB supplied a marriage in 1808 in Bristol to Hannah Purnell. Perhaps you are doubtful because the name Cantle is not recorded? I don't suppose it was obligatory in 1808 to give all your forenames but I may be wrong.

Looks as if you've got the marriage of cousins with Frances and Charles. If the marriage cert. says Frances' father was a butcher, what is the occupation of Charles' father?
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline kchappell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 17:09 BST (UK) »
<Them having a son called Thomas Cantle Chappell makes sense but other than his baptism in 1885, I can't find a marriage>

Correction: his baptism was 1786, and BumbleB supplied a marriage in 1808 in Bristol to Hannah Purnell. Perhaps you are doubtful because the name Cantle is not recorded? I don't suppose it was obligatory in 1808 to give all your forenames but I may be wrong.

Looks as if you've got the marriage of cousins with Frances and Charles. If the marriage cert. says Frances' father was a butcher, what is the occupation of Charles' father?

This does make sense with them being cousins.
I don't know what Charles' father's occupation was. I know longer have access to the marriage certificate. For some reason, I remembered Frances' father's occupation

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 October 22 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's me form you other post
Just to help out .
Charles's father was Thomas Chappell dec butcher and Frances's was Thomas Chappell dec tailor .
So you have Frances d of Thomas and Mary Chappell tailor (born 1766 ),the  son  of Thomas and Ann Chappell brass worker
Charles s of Thomas Chantle Chappell ( born 1786)  and Hannah butcher, son  of James (born 1761) and Sarah Perriman Chappell butcher, son  of Thomas and Ann Chappell the  brass worker  at Keynsham.

Hope that helps

Ciderdrinker

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 October 22 14:06 BST (UK) »
Maybe already be found?

1841 Census Keysham
Hanah Chapple 50 Independant
Hanah Chapple 20
Sewisah Chapple 15 (Louisa)
George Chapple   20 Butcher
James Chapple 14

Burials of ;

THOMAS Chapple 09 Apr 1834 age 47
Born c 1787****

HANNAH Chappell 06 Oct 1841 age 57
Born c 1784****
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 22 15:49 BST (UK) »
I got a lot of my Keynsham family information from:
https://keysalthist.org.uk/online.htm
 It is transcribed but a starting point.

No Chappells, but Janes, Heale/Hales, Cantles, Harris in my line.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline kchappell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 October 22 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's me form you other post
Just to help out .
Charles's father was Thomas Chappell dec butcher and Frances's was Thomas Chappell dec tailor .
So you have Frances d of Thomas and Mary Chappell tailor (born 1766 ),the  son  of Thomas and Ann Chappell brass worker
Charles s of Thomas Chantle Chappell ( born 1786)  and Hannah butcher, son  of James (born 1761) and Sarah Perriman Chappell butcher, son  of Thomas and Ann Chappell the  brass worker  at Keynsham.

Hope that helps

Ciderdrinker

Massively helps. Thank you so much.

I had always discounted Thomas (brother of James and son of Thomas and Ann Chappell) being Frances' father because he would be in his forties and uncle to Charles. That would make Charles and Frances first cousins once removed  ???
I guess that Frances was most likely from his second or even third marriage?