Author Topic: Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?  (Read 24555 times)

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watters or Waters, Hugh Parents search but no luck...help please?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 02 October 22 11:38 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census address Bolton Street Govan
Hugh Watters age 23 born about 1828 Formunoch Ireland would think it would Fermanagh
www. freecen,org 1851 census his place of birth County Fermanagh
From Rosie's 1851 census entry for Hugh and Isabella, and the mention of Fermanagh.
I wonder if this other 1851 census entry could be connected to Hugh?:

Bridget Watters 24 Calico Printfield Labourer Lodger b. Ferman, Ireland
Helen Watters 21 Calico Printfield Labourer Lodger b. Ferman, Ireland
Address: No 5 Strathblane Road Mr Glassford's Houses, Milngavie, East Kilpatrick, Stirlingshire
Wondering if the Ferman. on the transcript could also be Fermanagh?
I'm checking out old maps through NLS to see if the entries for Ferman and Fermanagh are likely the same.
I'm confused! Are you checking the locations of the 2 Scottish addresses for a possible connection or are you looking for Ferman/Fermanagh, Ireland on maps on NLS (National Library of Scotland)?
Annie
Hi Annie, sorry for the confusion. Both really! I haven't found any option for Ferman or Formunoch apart from them referring to County Fermanagh.
And I have found the entries for Bridget and Helen Watters but I haven't worked out how close geographically they are from Hugh & Isabella Watters and Matthew Fisher in Govan 1851.
I'm also still searching for Irish records for a birth or travel of Hugh Watters/Waters/Walters either alone or in connection with siblings prior to 1851.
Gets a bit mind boggling for me as I don't know the geography so working out how close one entry is (geographically) to another is tricky.
Thanks for the follow up. Cheers.
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 02 October 22 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

While I haven't ordered the certificate, I have also found a record for a
Hugh Watters who married Isabella HOWAT Fisher in Gorbels, Lanarkshire on 18 Jul 1850;
rather than my Hugh Waters and Isabella Howie Fisher who married in Riccarton, Ayr on 16 Aug 1850.

I'm fairly confident mine are  the correct Hugh & Isabella as the daughter is Margaret Gemmill/Gemmel/Gammel/Gemmell Waters and Isabella Howie Fisher/Waters' mother was Margaret Gemmel.
I also have unconfirmed records of Margaret Gemmel's mother being a Howie.

I was thinking it could be the same people with spelling errors but Gorbels instead of Riccarton? 
A weird coincidence?
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 02 October 22 12:34 BST (UK) »
It will be the same couple.

If a couple intending to marry lived in two different parishes they would have to get their banns called in both. This generates two records of the same event.

Look at the originals of both as the information may differ.

There is no certificate as such, because it's before the start of statutory civil registration in 1855.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 02 October 22 14:23 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the death cert for James Waters and unfortunately the most important info is missing as you can see........

Death:
James Waters
16 December 1864
Hutchestown
119 Main Street
50 yrs old
married to Mary Jennings
cause of death: meningitis
informant: Mary Waters-wife

the place for the names of parents is totally blank for whatever reason. So no help there.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 02 October 22 16:40 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at the death cert for James Waters and unfortunately the most important info is missing as you can see........

Death:
James Waters
16 December 1864
Hutchestown
119 Main Street
50 yrs old
married to Mary Jennings

the place for the names of parents is totally blank for whatever reason. So no help there.

I thought as much when there was no mothers name recorded   on the death index  Obviously the person registering the death did not know the names of his parents .The only other record would be the marriage /banns

Rosie

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 03 October 22 08:55 BST (UK) »

If a couple intending to marry lived in two different parishes they would have to get their banns called in both. This generates two records of the same event.

There is no certificate as such, because it's before the start of statutory civil registration in 1855.
Hi Forfarian,
Thanks, I'll check both in case there is other info. :)

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 03 October 22 09:01 BST (UK) »

Death:
James Waters
16 December 1864
Hutchestown
119 Main Street
50 yrs old
married to Mary Jennings

I thought as much when there was no mothers name recorded   on the death index  Obviously the person registering the death did not know the names of his parents .The only other record would be the marriage /banns

Rosie
Thanks Greeneyedgirl and Rosie17.
Dangerous to presume but presuming James and Hugh were brothers re; the same address earlier, is there likely to be a record of their travel from Ireland to Scotland or was this trip too common to be likely to have records?

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 03 October 22 09:10 BST (UK) »

Thanks, have checked the second Hugh and Isabella Watters, states Hugh Watters in Kingston. Isabella Howat Fisher in Rickerton Parish married by Rev'd. (Reverend, I guess).

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 03 October 22 09:40 BST (UK) »

Death:
James Waters
16 December 1864
Hutchestown
119 Main Street
50 yrs old
married to Mary Jennings

Rosie
Thanks Greeneyedgirl and Rosie17.
Dangerous to presume but presuming James and Hugh were brothers re; the same address earlier, is there likely to be a record of their travel from Ireland to Scotland or was this trip too common to be likely to have records?

You won't find any records travelling from Ireland to Scotland ..I would take a chance on the RC marriage  record for James Waters to see what it says

Rosie