Author Topic: Looking for family of Luke Gillen born circa 1825  (Read 1000 times)

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for family of Luke Gillen born circa 1825
« on: Wednesday 28 September 22 12:52 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for my Great-great grandfather Luke Gillen.  I'm not entirely sure where in Ireland he's from suffice to say he was born about 1825.  I've recently uncovered a relative, Thaddeus Gillen, from Drumcliffe Parish, County Sligo, born on 21 June 1853.  Which may or may not point to where my GGGF Luke Gillen came from.

He married a Bridget Burns in the US but I suspect the families knew each other in Ireland.  Bridget (or Bridgette or Brigida) was born in Feb, 1828, but where precisely in Ireland is unknown to me.

On Ancestry.com my DNA points to Connacht (Mayo, South and West), or Muenster (Cork, Central and East) but I suspect that's more from my maternal ancestors (Sullivan, O'Malley, Gallagher) than Gillen.

I'm really hoping to gather information about Gillen's in Ireland.  It may very well be that Luke Gillen was more Scottish but at this point I just don't know. 

Thanks,

Mark Gillen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for family of Luke Gillen born circa 1825
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I am sure you have this, but just adding here as it includes additional details that may help others searching www.findagrave.com/memorial/85038778/luke-gillen

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes, I did have his grave site information, via another web site.  What's interesting is that my great-great grandmother's surname is Berns not Burns.  Through an Ancestry.com DNA link to a Peter Lenahan which genetically led me to an ancestor Thaddeus Gillen and his wife Ann Lenghan (Lenahan).  Thaddeus was born around 1820 in County Sligo.  I mention him since he's a Gillen and it's he's the first Gillen I've found that actually has some background as to where in Ireland he lived.  I'm hoping that my Gillen ancestors had some proximity to one another. 

Thanks, Monica!  It's great to get a reply!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, and welcome to Rootschat!

It might be worth your while to contact the contributor to the grave information on the link that Monica posted.
The profile of the contributor states the Gillen family are an area of focus for him/her.
The "send message" is on their profile page, found here: https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/47561859

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes, I did have his grave site information, via another web site.  What's interesting is that my great-great grandmother's surname is Berns not Burns.  Through an Ancestry.com DNA link to a Peter Lenahan which genetically led me to an ancestor Thaddeus Gillen and his wife Ann Lenghan (Lenahan).  Thaddeus was born around 1820 in County Sligo.  I mention him since he's a Gillen and it's he's the first Gillen I've found that actually has some background as to where in Ireland he lived.  I'm hoping that my Gillen ancestors had some proximity to one another. 

And a warm welcome from me too. 

Further down on the info about the memorial it says the name is Burns and that her father's name was Hugh Burns. 
Of course this has variations
Byrne
Beirne
Burn
etc

On Irish genealogy there is this record for a Hugh Beirne who died aged 66 in 1876
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1876/020596/7226509.pdf
and Hugh Byrne who died aged 75 in 1876
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1874/020671/7253075.pdf

Both are from Co Sligo, interestingly. 

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 22 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, and welcome to Rootschat!

It might be worth your while to contact the contributor to the grave information on the link that Monica posted.
The profile of the contributor states the Gillen family are an area of focus for him/her.
The "send message" is on their profile page, found here: https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/47561859

Thanks bbart!  Yes, the poster of that contributor is my cousin Kevin Gillen.  He's been looking for our GGGF for a while as well.

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 22 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

And a warm welcome from me too. 

Further down on the info about the memorial it says the name is Burns and that her father's name was Hugh Burns. 
Of course this has variations
Byrne
Beirne
Burn
etc

On Irish genealogy there is this record for a Hugh Beirne who died aged 66 in 1876
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1876/020596/7226509.pdf
and Hugh Byrne who died aged 75 in 1876
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1874/020671/7253075.pdf

Thanks!  Yes, In my current family tree version I have Hugh Burns down as my GGGM's father.  Today I was researching some records that might indicate her father and mother might have been a Michael Burns and Mary Mourew but I'm not certain that, that's correct.  They did have a daughter Bridget but she wasn't born until 1842 and my GGGM was already married by then.

Interestingly that Bridget Burns was from Kiltown Cross Roads, Kilkenny, Ireland which also doesn't fit the profile.  The other issue I've run into is that my mother's side of my genetics is made up of Sullivan, O'Malley, and Galagher, so counties Connact, Mayo and Munster.  Not sure if my dad's ancestors came from Ireland or Scotland (of Irish descent).

Both are from Co Sligo, interestingly.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 22 01:32 BST (UK) »
I've recently uncovered a relative, Thaddeus Gillen, from Drumcliffe Parish, County Sligo, born on 21 June 1853.  Which may or may not point to where my GGGF Luke Gillen came from.

It was Thadeus' daughter who was baptised on that date.  Registers survive for baptisms from 1841 and marriages from 1865.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0555

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0555&parish=Drumcliff

There was more than one Thadeus GILLEN baptising children there around that time, unless it is the same person with different wives.  I haven't looked to see if the dates overlap.

Debra  :)

Offline markggillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 22 11:52 BST (UK) »
I've recently uncovered a relative, Thaddeus Gillen, from Drumcliffe Parish, County Sligo, born on 21 June 1853.  Which may or may not point to where my GGGF Luke Gillen came from.

It was Thadeus' daughter who was baptised on that date.  Registers survive for baptisms from 1841 and marriages from 1865.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0555

https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0555&parish=Drumcliff

There was more than one Thadeus GILLEN baptizing children there around that time, unless it is the same person with different wives.  I haven't looked to see if the dates overlap.

Debra  :)

My bad, Debra.  You are exactly right.  Thaddeus (or Thadeus) was born circa 1820.  His daughter, Brigida, was baptized (not born) on 21 June 1853.  His wife was Anna Lenaghan (also spelt Lenahan).  I tried attaching the baptismal register but it's too large of an upload.  In that register you can also see that an Anna Waters was baptized and her mother was a Gillen (Margaret I think - the handwriting was too indistinct) and the Godmother was an Anna Gillen.  The surnames of Waters, Gillen, Dunleavy, and Lenahan etc. show up in a Griffith's Valuation for Drumcliff Parish so I'm hoping that somehow Thaddeus is related to Luke Gillen.  I bring up Thaddeus because he is a DNA match I have on Ancestry.com so I feel he's a pretty solid lead to Gillens in Ireland.  I'm hoping that he will lead to other Gillen ancestors and quite possibly my GGGF Luke Gillen.