Author Topic: Help with a mystery photo  (Read 7249 times)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with a mystery photo
« on: Wednesday 28 September 22 21:08 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I am wondering if any good photo detectives can help me to extract some clues from these mystery photos.
I don't know who these people are, how they might be related or otherwise.  I don't know if they are dressed up or in normal day to day gear.
 I don't know what timeframe it's from.

BUT I do believe it was taken at a wee Croft in Sutherland, where the occupants were of Aberdeenshire/Banffshire origin.

Neither photo has anything on the back, and both are about maybe 3 inches in height.

I would love to know what you clever folks can deduce from this photo, no matter how small it could help in identifying or narrowing down who these folks might be.

Thank you for reading.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a mystery photo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 21:14 BST (UK) »
I think it's likely to be the late 1920s. The pictures are not taken by a professional photographer. Of the four people, the one missing from a photograph is taking it.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 22:31 BST (UK) »
I agree, 1920s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 22 09:36 BST (UK) »
To me, the two men in smart suits with waistcoats seem likely to be visitors, and the other man and woman a married couple, inhabitants of the croft. They are less smartly dressed but still look as if they've made an effort. 
In photo 1, does anyone else think there is a facial resemblance between the elderly man and the woman whose shoulder his hand rests on? The gesture suggests to me that there's more of a connection between him and her than between him and her husband. In the 2nd photo no-one is touching. Perhaps he is her father, or an uncle? 
Could this be a visit from relatives who have emigrated and made good?

GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
Looks to me as though you may have three generations in the photo of the three men. The young man in the middle standing with his father and grandfather.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 22 09:42 BST (UK) »
The woman has quite swollen legs and is using a walking stick - maybe has a heart condition?
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 September 22 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for all your thoughts on these photos!

The occupants of the croft in the 1920s were a married couple and their children.  She died in 1925 (age 33) and he died in 1930 (age 52).  I don't know what she looked like, but do have a photo of him and its not a match to the people in the mystery pics.

The previous "man of the house" was a man who died in 1918 aged 83 years.  I don't know what he looked like but was supposed to have been a big chap.   

He had two daughters, one who I don't know what she looked like but would have been 48 when her father died in 1918.  The other daughter I have seen a photo of and its definitely not her in the mystery pic.

Is it feasible that the photo could be as old as 1918 or even a couple of years before that  ???

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 September 22 22:58 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't put it any earlier than 1920s
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 September 22 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would also say this photo was taken in the 1920s. The lady's clothes are from that period.
What did the lady of the croft die of in 1925? The woman in the photo doesn't look that old and appears to have a disability/illness (swollen legs and a stick)

Looby :)