Author Topic: Ancestry SideView Technology to be Extended  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry SideView Technology to be Extended
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 17 November 22 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Whilst we have our sideview system back it still looks to be deeply flawed.

Looking though the Unassigned this morning I found that out of the highest twenty cM matches many could be assigned to Paternal or Maternal simply via using the Shared matches.

I agree, Biggles.

I spent ages doing my own assignments, with the correct relationship level,  and now I'm not sure which are mine and which are theirs.  This is especially so with 'both sides' and 'unassigned'.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 17 November 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I spent ages doing my own assignments, with the correct relationship level,  and now I'm not sure which are mine and which are theirs.  This is especially so with 'both sides' and 'unassigned'.

Are the ones you assigned not contained in the groups custom labelled? There are three for maternal, paternal, both sides. If I click on the i icon alonside the relationship a tool-tip appears saying this was a relationship I selected.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 18 November 22 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Whilst we have our sideview system back it still looks to be deeply flawed.

Looking though the Unassigned this morning I found that out of the highest twenty cM matches many could be assigned to Paternal or Maternal simply via using the Shared matches.

I agree, Biggles.

I went though all of my top 100 Maternal and 100 Paternal and added a Coloured group for each as applicable to those who I knew for sure, Pink for ladies Red for guys.

Previously when I had created a proven branch to a Match I use the Note feature to add the name(s) of the Ancestor(s) we have in Common plus I add the DNA Match’s actual Birth Name so User name Joe90 becomes:- Fred Smith & Eve Jones - Joseph Baker

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Friday 18 November 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I had almost forgotten that Ancestry was in some unidentified foreign language the other day!

By parent Beta feature now back for me at the moment-
How did we do?
This feature is new. We've split up your matches by the parent they're related to - but we're still working out a few kinks. If something doesn't look right, let us know!
Submit feedback

1 match under 'both sides' and when I checked further they and I have no shared matches.

I've got an odd 'both sides' as well.
My sister and two nieces are there so I should have three 'both sides'
My sister has me her daughter and niece so should also have three 'both sides'
but we both have four 'both sides' and they aren't the same person.
My one is JR 15cM with and unlinked tree of only three people
and my sister's is TW 19cM with no tree.
and running a name search on both gives no result on the 'other' persons matches.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 19 November 22 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I am somewhat surprised to find I don't have any 'both sides' since I have a couple of matching groups I have identified, where different individuals within those groups also match either maternal or paternal matches
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 19 November 22 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Grogrocett
You can add " both sides " yourself

If they are assigned to one parent or unassigned could just mean the connection to other side isn't strong enough to you to show up automatically
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 19 November 22 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Grogrocett
You can add " both sides " yourself

If they are assigned to one parent or unassigned could just mean the connection to other side isn't strong enough to you to show up automatically

Prior to last weeks removal and replacement of Sideview, I had Maternal, Paternal, Both Sides and Unassigned headings on the main DNA matches screen. Both Sides no longer shows since the update. It only contained my brother, who shares about 2700 cM with me.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 19 November 22 17:31 GMT (UK) »
You're right I only have both sides showing for my nephew on his profile now

no both sides groups
Now but I can still add to " both sides' if I go into edit relationships on profile have choice of father's side mother's side or both.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson