Author Topic: Ancestry SideView Technology to be Extended  (Read 6534 times)

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry SideView Technology to be Extended
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 06 October 22 20:28 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else's "SideView Technology" mixed up?

I have tested both my mother and my father separately and manage their results.

I am quite lucky because the family of my mother's mother was almost exclusively from Lincolnshire and the family of my mother's father was from the south of England (Wiltshire/Somerset/Berkshire). For this reason, it has been very easy to separate my mother's maternal and paternal matches. Also, she has 2 second cousins who have tested: 1 on her father's side and 1 on her mother's.

However, Ancestry has lumped some of my mother's maternal matches into her paternal matches. They are clearly related to her on her mother's side; their ancestors hail from Lincolnshire and they match my mother's maternal second cousin. They even have the correct common ancestors via ThruLines!

In fact, other than my mother's paternal second cousin, who they have correctly identified as being a paternal match, virtually all the identified matches are from her mother's side!

Having said that, most of the matches are still unassigned (over 12,000), so maybe there are a few teething problems.

Weirdly enough, my father's side is very accurate, even though his parents were born only 20 miles away from each other! Thankfully, despite being close geographically, they obviously don't share any recent ancestors, which makes things a lot less complicated when sorting matches!

I am disappointed, though, as I always look forward to new features  :'(

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 October 22 10:56 BST (UK) »
My parent button is now working correctly this morning so just a roll-out issue. They suggest unassigned may change with time so perhaps my mother unassigned but daughter assigned will be updated. I also see they want errors to be reported to them. So far I have not found one but clearly from posts on this thread the accuracy is variable. Looks as though they will be kept busy!

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 07 October 22 11:15 BST (UK) »
For me the relationships are mainly correct (as far as I can see so far) but I have found one whopper.   I've also found an instance on my brother's results where they've wrongly assigned 'paternal' and I can't change it because the 'maternal' option isn't offered.

I think it would help if it said eg 'Parent 1' and 'Maternal'.   My poor brain won't remember which is which after I've checked a few matches and updated notes.

I suppose it's early days and hopefully it will improve.   A chromosome browser would have been so much more useful.   I can't understand Ancestry's unwillingness to install the feature.
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 07 October 22 11:59 BST (UK) »
I've also found an instance on my brother's results where they've wrongly assigned 'paternal' and I can't change it because the 'maternal' option isn't offered.

I've noticed that as well. Once assigned edit relationship does not offer the opposite side just unassigned as an option. I assumed I was just missing some way of reversing the assignment perhaps in another view. Can anyone see a way of doing that? If not it must be a bug?

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 October 22 13:04 BST (UK) »
Went live for me last night at 7:30pm (Scotland).

All assigned matches looking spot on for me so for EXCEPT my closest match, a first cousin on my paternal side.

This was assigned to Both Sides and, as mentioned above, it does not give the option of re-assigning to paternal side. I've fed this back, hopefully it will be sorted out soon.

G67
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 07 October 22 13:34 BST (UK) »
I've now found several instances where matches I share with my brother say 'maternal' one side and 'paternal' the other.   This is extremely unlikely.   In the cases where I don't know which is correct I'd like to be able to unassign them but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Also, whilst I know we're dealing with a machine I really resent it flagging up in red that our maternal 1st cousin must really be a paternal match - and just in case anyone's wondering if it's possible all our other matches give a lie to it.

I think for the sake of my blood pressure I'm just going to have to ignore this new feature.
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 09 October 22 14:50 BST (UK) »
Just heard from one of my matches that they have not got SideView so it is still being rolled out. When I looked on Anc website at the announcement of maternal/paternal matching it has a footnote that some subscribers will not get it until February 2023!

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 09 October 22 17:22 BST (UK) »
Also, whilst I know we're dealing with a machine I really resent it flagging up in red that our maternal 1st cousin must really be a paternal match - and just in case anyone's wondering if it's possible all our other matches give a lie to it.

I'm in the same boat with 3 first cousins (2 paternal and 1 maternal) being marked as being from "the other side" and even marking them as keep they are still flagged in red. There are several 2nd cousins with whom I've shared a fairly comprehensive paper trail who have also been moved from my paternal side to the maternal. It does not imbue any sense of trust in any of the results.
I think for the sake of my blood pressure I'm just going to have to ignore this new feature.
You and me both  ;D ;D

Offline kelsmell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 October 22 10:29 BST (UK) »
Morning, Just wondering has anyone got a similar problem as me? They’ve sorted my matches as, paternal 7 matches & maternal 522 matches a bit better but not great and unassigned over 10,000 matches.

I have spent many hours sorting my matches, building trees, researching, even adding my match's lines to my tree to figure out the connections.

My parents are from different countries Mum’s side northern England/Scotland (east coast) & Spain, Dad’s side, southern Ireland mainly (east coast), Dublin, and Wicklow area’s. I just can’t understand why there are only 7 on my Dad’s side!
Winship/Simpson/Addison from Durham.
Wade from Lancashire & Durham.
Johnson/Johnstone from Bellingham Northumberland & Durham.
Beattie from Angus & Durham.
Dicky/Low From Kincardineshire Scotland.
Smyth/Doyle/O'Connor/Connolly from Dublin.