Author Topic: Blyth, Church Street  (Read 725 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth, Church Street
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 23:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a Church Street on the 1856 OS Map next behind the Chapel Of Ease/St Cuthberts Church on Plessey Road. It's closer to the river and it's gone by the next map so it might have been demolished when they were building St Cuthberts in the 1880's or the Police Station in the 1890;s :)
(Just checked and the back boundary wall of the Police Station seems to run down the middle of what was Church Street)

https://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/004891FS.htm this map shows it pretty clearly (Its tiny on the OS map lol)

I had forgotten about that Church Street!

The north end was where the old Ebenezer Chapel stood. I understand it was a school and chapel built in 1814. It was used as a church for some sixty years and was after that used as the Scientific Institute. It was demolished to make way for the 'new' Police Station in 1894. The information is taken from a book about Blyth. At the south end of Church Street was the little Chapel of Ease, so which of the two it was named after I have no idea. I guess it depends which one was there first, and my guess is that it would have been the Chapel of Ease, though I am happy to be corrected by anyone with better information.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 February 23 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I would hedge my bets in the Chapel of Ease being the name sake, built in 1751 :)

https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/church-of-st-cuthbert-blyth/#:~:text=The%20Church%20of%20St.,Ease%20at%20Blyth%20in%201751.
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 February 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I think you are right! Thanks for your help!
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)