Author Topic: Roman Catholic Children's Homes nr Clydebank in 1922  (Read 249 times)

Offline junipero

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roman Catholic Children's Homes nr Clydebank in 1922
« on: Thursday 29 September 22 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.

This is my first post here  :) I'm relatively new to researching my family tree although I have been interested in it for some time.

My paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother were both fostered as babies (both now deceased). I have been successful in discovering my maternal grandmother's family using Ancestry and have managed to speak to a cousin and get photos of family we've never seen. It has been amazing.

I am struggling somewhat on my grandfather's side. I know his mother's name but the father is unknown, although we suspect the surname of his father could be his middle name. They were unmarried and apparently his mum was Catholic and his father Protestant.

He was seemingly placed "in a convent" as a baby and I have been trying to find records of him in children's homes at the time. I've been in touch with Smyllum Orphanage but they have no record of him, nor do any of the Nazareth Houses.

He was born in Clyde Street, Old Kilpatrick in 1922.

I looked at old maps to look for any churches in that area but drew a blank on Roman Catholic ones and then got myself tied in knots about what I was doing  ;D I had thought I could contact a nearby church for their advice. I think St Patrick's may have been one I was going to contact.

Can anyone provide me with suggestions?

Also, I was considering trying to get to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow to see if I could see anything in their Infant Registers as part of Poor Law to see if anything was recorded for either of my grandparents when they were fostered. Due to the 100 years closure of these types of file, would it be worthwhile me going to see as it has only been 100 years this year as they were both born in 1922, and I would like to see all years available if they were fostered "officially".

Finally, can anyone tell me what would generally have happened in 1922 with unmarried pregnant mothers across the religious divide? On my grandfather's birth certificate, he was registered almost 3 weeks after he was born and was signed by his mother. I was quite surprised to see this as I presumed he was given up/taken away immediately after birth.

As an aside, I have found some of his birth family and there are photos of him as an adult with his Mum and his daughter, my Aunt. The fact he was fostered only came out when he died. And the same with his birth family. It was all hush hush and not talked about so now we're trying to fit the pieces of the jigsaw together.

Thanks for reading :)

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Children's Homes nr Clydebank in 1922
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 22 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I can't be of help regarding "children's homes".... I think that you will find that Clyde Street is in Clydebank. There is a place called Old Kilpatrick (one of the village's that helped form Clydebank) but Clydebank comes under the district/parish of Old Kilpartick (if that make sense).
Try Clydebank Library as they have local resources and a heritage centre.
Glasgow Warriors
Allotment
Walking the dog.
Reading
Family History
Researching...Brockett, Muir, McLeod, Ross

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Children's Homes nr Clydebank in 1922
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 22 17:51 BST (UK) »
Clydebank is one of several places in the parish of Old Kilpatrick.

The registration district of Old Kilpatrick was the same as the parish until TPTB* started mucking about with the local authority boundaries in 1975. As 1922 is well before that, you can take it that for your purposes it's the same.

*The Powers That Be, for those unfamiliar with the abbreviation.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.