Author Topic: Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway
« on: Friday 30 September 22 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm looking for information on 2 sisters born in Devon England but married into the Ffrench & Lynch Families of Tuam, Galway. Amelia France ALDRICH & Frances Mary Emma ALDRICH daughters of a C of E Clergyman from Brixham, Devon.

Amelia is recorded in the 1841 UK Census aged 25. working as a Governess in Brixham

there is no record of her in the 1851 UK census perhaps she was in Ireland. She married a Ffrench around this time I am unable to access my Family tree on the PC atm but from memory her husband was "Mark Joseph Ffrench"

In the 1861 UK census she is back in Brixham with her father Charles ALDRICH & youngest sister Frances ALDRICH & she is recorded as married "wife of a private Gentleman" her husband was not with her

in the 1871 UK census she is recorded as married but working as a Governess in Lancashire husband not with her.

nothing in the 1881 & 1891 UK census guessing she was back in Ireland

1901 Ireland Census she is a Widow living with her sister Frances Lynch, her husband Charles Lynch (a landowner) & their Grandson Jack Sexton in Carrowbeg

I am hoping these sisters are recorded in Ireland during these missing Census returns

Frances disappears from the UK records after the death of her father in 1864...I don't believe Amelia had children of her own but Frances may have the names Neptune LYNCH & Susan LYNCH come to mind.

I believe there is a connection between the Ffrench & Lynch Families around this time

Amelia was born in Brixham, Devon 1817
Frances was born in Stonehouse, Devon 1843

both sisters married in R.C. Church in Ireland

Thanks

Kim

Online LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 September 22 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

See below for 1876 Marriage in Dublin of Frances Aldrich and Charles Lynch of Tuam:-

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11177/8095287.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
The first complete census for Ireland is 1901. Only small fragments for a few places survive.
1901 Ireland Census she is a Widow living with her sister Frances Lynch, her husband Charles Lynch (a landowner) & their Grandson Jack Sexton in Carrowbeg
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Claretuam/Carrowbeg_North/1400701/

Amelia French (one F) died in 1904-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05608/4577074.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 22 10:48 BST (UK) »
There are newspaper announcements of the marriage in August 1849 in Irish Newspapers
I can only see snippets so not sure where it occurred.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 22 10:55 BST (UK) »
Again, a newspaper snippet - is it the same Mark Ffrench?
8th February 1854 Tuam Herald
‘and protecting them for the future against such villainous” treatment that experienced our respected townsman Mark Ffrench, Ksq., (to whom wish God speed and all success in the laud of his adoption), and his suffering fellow-passengers Australia’

There is an Australian death 1884 for  Mark Ffrench but I have no access so no idea if it is him.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 September 22 11:25 BST (UK) »

Charles Joseph Lynch died at Carrowbeg in December 1905. His son Neptune J Lynch was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05567/4563365.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 September 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
1876 marriage show Charles Lynch a widower. At least one son from previous marriage-
Belfast Newsletter, 19 Dec.1862: Lynch- At Carrabeg, the wife of Charles J. Lynch, Esq., _ of a son and heir.

?  Roscommon Journal. 25 May 1861: At Carrabeg, on the 15th inst., the lady of Charles Lynch, Esq., of son.

Western Star & Ballinasloe Advertiser, 25 Apr.1863: ... April _, at Carrabeg, County Galway, Belinda Anne, wife of Charter J. Lynch, ...

Leinster Reporter, 29 Apr.1863: At Clarrabeg, County Galway, Belinda Anne, wife of Charles J. Lynch, Esq, ... sorrowing husband and four children. [Similar death notice in Galway Vindicator says 'four young children']