Author Topic: Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 October 22 02:42 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR REPLYING

I do remember the information about Charles Lynch's 1st wife Belinda & 2nd wife a "French" i am guessing this was an assumption based on Frances probably residing with her sister Amelia Ffrench I have the marriage record for Charles Lynch & Frances Aldrich in Ireland

i am curious if Dominick Lynch who inherited the Estate from Charles was the son of his 1st marriage as I believe Frances & Charles had at least 2 children Neptune Lynch & Susan Lynch (unconfirmed)
it appears the year after they are recorded in the 1901 Ireland Census Frances is recorded as a widowed inmate in a workhouse then her death late 1905 in Tuam (TBC).

Also have to wonder as it appears Dominick Lynch only had 6 daughters who inherited the family estate on his death...is this where the French-Lynch name starts? Lots of questions

Ian Nelson

Funny you should mention a France/French connection...Amelia & Frances's mother was Susan Bartlett FRANCE born in Brixham...Her father was Commander R.N. Nathaniel Thomas FRANCE born in Plymouth however from here the Irish connection begins his father Nathaniel FRANCE a surgeon in R.N. born in Waterford Ireland...Capt Thomas FRANCE born Ireland then there's a Rev Thomas FRANCE who seems to have some connection to Bishop Nathaniel FOY.

It would seem there could be more to the French/France connection than Amelia's marriage.

Unfortunately I could not access any information on Rawcliffe Hall.

Thanks again everyone for all the help

Kim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:23 BST (UK) »
i am curious if Dominick Lynch who inherited the Estate from Charles was the son of his 1st marriage as I believe Frances & Charles had at least 2 children Neptune Lynch & Susan Lynch (unconfirmed)
it appears the year after they are recorded in the 1901 Ireland Census Frances is recorded as a widowed inmate in a workhouse then her death late 1905 in Tuam (TBC).
Also have to wonder as it appears Dominick Lynch only had 6 daughters who inherited the family estate on his death...is this where the French-Lynch name starts?
Reply #11- Dominick's marriage lists father. There were 5 daughters and at least one son (Francis born 1911)
Reply #4 & #6- Charles & Frances had 4 children: Neptune, Neptune Joseph, Susan Mary Gertrude, Amelia Mary

The widowed Frances Louisa Lynch, age 69, that died in 1905 died at Cloosheen and the informant was her son Darcy Lynch of the same place.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1905/05576/4566211.pdf
Here she is with son Darcy & daughter Barbara in 1901 census so not your Frances-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Kilshanvy/Cloonsheen/1402737/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:31 BST (UK) »
Charles Lynch's 1st wife Belinda-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014911/005014911_00147.pdf

Can't see death in Ireland in 1900s for Frances Lynch yet.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:33 BST (UK) »
“ Reply #11- Dominick's marriage lists father. There were 5 daughters and at least one son (Francis born 1911)”

Francis b 1911 is registered as ‘female’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:35 BST (UK) »

....I believe Frances & Charles had at least 2 children Neptune Lynch & Susan Lynch (unconfirmed)..

???

Aghadowey has confirmed the births of at least three children in replies #4 and #6

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:43 BST (UK) »
“ Reply #11- Dominick's marriage lists father. There were 5 daughters and at least one son (Francis born 1911)”

Francis b 1911 is registered as ‘female’.

Thanks for picking up on that, heywood  :-[
I remember when originally posting that 'Francis' was female and should have noted that in the original posting.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:58 BST (UK) »
I see that there are 4 Ancestry family trees that list Dominick's daughther as Oliveeta Agnes Lynch (as mis-transcribed in 1911 census) but her birth registration shows she was Olive Eta Agnes.

Had a look at one of the trees and it says father Dominick died 1960 Dublin. There is a Dominick Lynch who died in 1960 in Drogheda but he was a bachelor-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1960/04334/4120352.pdf

Same tree lists Dominick's parents as Charles Lynch and O'conner Donlan and also gives Dominick a sister- wait for this- Frances Louisa Lynch born 1836 died 1905! Which, according to this ridiculous tree mean Charles gave birth to a child when about a year old! This 'daughter' also had a son merely called 'Rockwell.' Good examples of how not to trace your family and not to copy someone else's tree.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 October 22 12:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this has been posted already
Newspaper snippet
Galway Express  30th December 1905 re death of Charles Lynch

“Friday, 22nd inst., in the family vault at  ???, after 'solemn High Mass.Captain Lynch left a family by both wives, the eldest of whom is Major Dominick Lynch if the United States Army”

The place name for the family vault is ‘lielebins’ which is presumably an error.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 02 October 22 13:02 BST (UK) »

“Friday, 22nd inst., in the family vault at  ???, after 'solemn High Mass.Captain Lynch left a family by both wives, the eldest of whom is Major Dominick Lynch if the United States Army”

The place name for the family vault is ‘lielebins’ which is presumably an error.

Reading the obituary on FindMyPast newspapers, the family vault was at Belclare.
"in the family vault at Belclare, after solemn High Mass."

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6185742#map=14/53.4920/-8.9342

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo