Author Topic: Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway  (Read 1978 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ffrench & Lynch Families Tuam Galway
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 October 22 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks KG.
I was wondering if Frances would be interred there or recorded there to give a date of death.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 October 22 14:20 BST (UK) »
enter ' Ffrance of Rawcliffe ' on Google and you will get some excellent sources of info.  Other places are Familysearch which has quite a few entries but I copied them about 6 years ago before their search methods befuddled me, ( I no longer use familysearch )
rawcliffe is ancient and there is a list of the owners up to the present day.
One Thomas Roe ( Attorney ) was an owner in the 1700s and his daughter married John Ffrance of Eccleston ( nearby ) and thence to the Wilsons of Broughton on condition the Ffrance name was kept alive.   Some of the Wilson sons born before this transaction didn't adopt the Ffrance name.
I cannot find the connection now but I know there was marriage connections to the Massy and Westropp families of Dublin & Limerick ( found in Familysearch.org)
A common theme since Thomas Roe onwards seems to be membership of the Legal Profession and Methodism.
I'm on my 3rd computer since I originally discovered these stories and cannot trace what I copied - but if I do I'll continue trying to trace other connections.
By the way ... according to the t'internet, the use of the ff was prior to the adoption of the Capital Letter ' F '.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 October 22 03:46 BST (UK) »
I saw a couple of snippets re Neptune Lynch which implied that he became a priest/brother.
Here he is - number 406
https://spiritans.org/documents/2019/5/SWWW-for-web-section-4-part-1.pdf

And here is his death as Fr Joseph Lynch
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1933/04854/4310238.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 08:06 BST (UK) »
Again, a newspaper snippet - is it the same Mark Ffrench?
8th February 1854 Tuam Herald
‘and protecting them for the future against such villainous” treatment that experienced our respected townsman Mark Ffrench, Ksq., (to whom wish God speed and all success in the laud of his adoption), and his suffering fellow-passengers Australia’

There is an Australian death 1884 for  Mark Ffrench but I have no access so no idea if it is him.

This is very interesting Heywood...it could explain why Amelia is never recorded with her husband especially if he was travelling to Australia in 1854...does it mention an Australian State where he could have died I've checked the register of Births, deaths & marriages in NSW but nothing there

Thank you for this

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 08:27 BST (UK) »
Charles Lynch's 1st wife Belinda-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014911/005014911_00147.pdf

Can't see death in Ireland in 1900s for Frances Lynch yet.

Perhaps a remarriage then with Charles dying in 1905 & the estate passing to his son from his 1st marriage may have been her only option...can't find a death in England

Thanks for all the help

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all the help I really appreciate it. I finally found these 2 sisters, now it seems I've lost Frances again but at least I can cross Amelia off the list. Now to see what I can find out about this Mark Ffrench travelling to Australia

Thanks again

Kim

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 09:12 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don’t have access to Australian records, but the death is Victoria. I hope this helps.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
Can't remember if this posted yet-

The Argus [Melbourne], 18 June 1855: FFRENCH—ALDRICH—If Mark Ffrench, of Tuam, Co. Galway, Ireland, who arrived at Port Phillip in the Baretto Junior, in October 1853, will write to his brother-in-law, Charles F. Aldrich, Newcastle, N.S. Wales, he will relieve the painful anxiety of his friends, who have not heard of or from him since his arrival in the colonies. Or if any one has seen or heard of him, Mr. Aldrich will feel grateful if they would correspond with him, and address Newcastle, N.S. Wales.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/255613242?searchTerm=mark%20ffrench
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!