Author Topic: William Smith and Ann/Mary Craig  (Read 397 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Smith and Ann/Mary Craig
« on: Saturday 01 October 22 15:21 BST (UK) »
Still banging my head on a brick wall over the parents of James Smith 1820 approx - 1892 aged 82.  On his marriage in 1855 (age given as 33) he gives his place of birth and registration as Longside and his parents as Ann Craig and William Smith both still alive. William is listed as a crofter.   On his death in 1892 his father is listed again as William Smith but his mum as Mary Craig both deceased.  I am slowly going through all marriages that I can find of a William Smith and Ann or Mary regardless of surname as I cannot find them at all not even in a census.  Any idea what other first name mum could be if she could be called Ann or Mary?  I have tried surname of Craig and even Crab and Greig and getting nowhere.  Thanks for any inspiration :).
Also should i even trust that his dads name was actually William?   Just open to any offerings :).
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Smith and Ann/Mary Craig
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 22 15:48 BST (UK) »
Yes I believe that is him which ties in with the Craig surname but still can't find Ann/Mary or even Jean Craig who seems to disappear after the 1851 Census.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 22 09:06 BST (UK) »
There is this below on SP but no mother named, plus two William 1816 & 1717 father William.
After that a William & Mary Wilson had children baptised Longside?

SMITH   JAMES   WILLIAM SMITH/   24/04/1815   Longside

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 22 14:55 BST (UK) »
I would take the 1855 marriage record as the best bet for his parents' names, as James would have given those to the registrar himself. Doesn't necessarily guarantee they are accurate, especially if either or both parents died when he was a child. I also wouldn't put too much store in the fact that his parents aren't noted as being deceased at the time of his marriage - I've wasted lots of time looking for parents who were ostensibly still alive, but were, in fact not...  ;D

Sadly, the Longside parish records are incomplete for this time period, so you may well not find any record of the marriage, baptism or baptism of other siblings, if there were any. There is a marriage of a William Smith and Elizabeth Craig in Longside in 1810, which might tie up with the baptisms that Colin has flagged above - William Smith and Mary Wilson married in 1818. Conceivably could be the same William Smith, with his first wife dying. Could be worth having a look at these marriages and baptisms. There are also a number of infant deaths that could match up to some of these baptisms.

A trawl through the Kirk session records doesn't throw up any obvious illegitimate births for Smith and Craig either. And there aren't any other obvious deaths after 1855 of Smith with mms Craig. There also don't appear to be any Craig MIs in Longside.

It's a shame that the aunt, Jean Craig, appears to have died before 1855, as that strikes me as the only lead... All in all, a bit frustrating...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 22 17:58 BST (UK) »
Whist it is possible records have not been recorded or survived, I note on SP the records at
Longside, do cover quite a long period, better than many parishes.

B = 1621 – 1854  -  M & D = 1692 - 1854

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, maybe the mystery will never be solved but for now i'm revisiting the Mary Wilson/William Smith info as I note that James Smith born 1815 was at Auchtydonald where the children of William and Mary were also born from 1818.  As said,  it could be that William was married before to "Craig" unfortunately the mums name is left blank of James's baptism.  I had previously discounted William and Mary as William had died in 1838 which did not tie in with James saying that his parents were alive.  Will try to keep digging, thank you everyone :).

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 12:03 BST (UK) »

Can you please list all the information on the 1855 marriage certificate.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 12:47 BST (UK) »
James Smith, present residence Ellon, usual residence Ellon, aged 33, Farm Servant, Longside born and registered, Parents William Smith,  Crofter
                                   Ann Craig

Witnesses were James Smith and Alexander Smith .........problem is he married another Smith and she had brothers named Alexander and James :(.