Author Topic: Adriana Ironside/Bowring, Winterborne St Martins, Dorset, England, 1750?  (Read 472 times)

Offline cid10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adriana Ironside/Bowring, Winterborne St Martins, Dorset, England, 1750?
« on: Sunday 02 October 22 12:44 BST (UK) »
Does anyone else have Adria/Adriana Ironside in their family trees?  She's a great grandmother, well a several times great grandmother!  I think she married William Bowring in Winterborne St Martins, Dorset somewhere in the late 1780s, maybe she was born in around 1750?
Reed, Hughes,Tipton/Dudley Port
Fenn, Wolverhampton
Evans, Gough, Bettwsycym,Rad/Shrops
Bowring, WSMartins, Dorset
Ironside, Dorset, Chester-le-Street
Baggot, Staffs
Brown, Terry, Greensill, Wolverhampton
Smith, Rostance, Stafford,Berkswich
Mewis - Bloxwich, Staffs
Bytheway, Shrops, Rushbury (Artisidella Bytheway)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Adriana Ironside/Bowring, Winterborne St Martins, Dorset, England, 1750?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 22 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hello
DorsetOPC has the baptism of Adria Ironside on 14th October 1750, daughter of John Ironside.
They also have the marriage of William BOWREN on 6th July 1772 but it is to Elizabeth Ironside (though the Elizabeth is marked with a '?').  Witnesses William Bartlett and one illegible.
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline cid10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 22 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very swift reply!!  I think I had Adria born around 1750 around Winterborne St Martins area in Dorset, and married to William Bowren in around early 1770s and my greatxsomething grandad was born around 1790 in WSM.  However I also came across an Elizabeth married to a William Bowren but I can't find my original notes and I did wander if there were 2 William Bowren's around in the same area at the same time.  My greatxsomething grandad was one of two children by the same name in the same year in the same place so I was guessing they were cousins, and if you look at the parish lists the same names are coming up in families/areas all the time, I think it must have been very confusing for them!!  I haven't looked at this side of my tree for a couple of decades now.  All I have to do is find my original notes, this is all from a jaded memory!
Fenn, Wolverhampton
Baggot, Staffs
Mewis - Bloxwich, Staffs

Offline cid10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 22 22:22 BST (UK) »
Adria or Adriana as she's called somewhere else in the family, is such an unusual name for those times, I know today it's found around the italian/albanian coast lines but in the 1700s?  Yet I did trace her back to the Ironsides in the Durham area who were Bishops I think in the 1400/1500s.  So that's two sets of files I need to find up the loft, Bowrings and Ironsides!
Fenn, Wolverhampton
Baggot, Staffs
Mewis - Bloxwich, Staffs

Offline JulianBenoit45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 23 00:44 GMT (UK) »
My 6 times Great Grandparents were Adria Ironside and William Bowring, who married in 1772. Adria Ironside was born in 1750, the daughter of John Ironside and Mary Mudford. Adria's 3 times Grandparents were Ralph Ironside (born 1605) and Margaret Strode (b1612).Margaret Strode had a royal ancestry as she was descended from King Henry II of England.

Offline cid10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 24 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the very late reply Julian, I have gone back to John Bowring marrying Adriana Ironside and going to Ralph Ironside and Mary Mudford I think it was, but haven't gone back to a Mary Strode.  Henry II?  William Bowring is also my 6xgreat grandfather!  I'm descended from Robert 1791 who married Sarah Dickery, they lived in Charminster, the their son Henry 1830 and his son George Robert 1854, then Bertram Charles I Bowering 1879, Bertram Charles II my grandad.

I've gone back to a grandfather coming over with William the Conqueror on my mother's side, which took a long hard slog.  He was rewarded by being given land, a title and built a huge manor house which still stands today up north!  There was a converted stable cottage for sale a few years back now and I did tell my younger sister and she got quite excited! But I did wonder about the surname Ironside?  I was immediately thinking of Edmund Ironside. The Bishops of Durham were Ironsides and Ralph came down to oh now forgotten the name of the village close to Winterborne St Martin, it's down a little track, the name's gone now, but I couldn't really see how such a wealthy family in the spate of a generation were reduced to being agricultural labourers and continuing the downward spiral over the generations.  I wondered what happened to start this off.  His will wasn't bad, he certainly had money.  I shall have to take another look at my tree and see if I can trudge down it again.  Unfortunately I've got a laptop which is on its last legs and with this cost of living crisis hitting hard I can't replace it just yet, nor persuade my daughter to change internet provider as that's not so good either!   Later today I will take a stroll down to find Mary Strode!  Oh maybe not today I've got a forum session about arthritis and pain relief and management etc, it's on all afternoon I think, so maybe tomorrow then!  Nice to hear from you cousin!
Fenn, Wolverhampton
Baggot, Staffs
Mewis - Bloxwich, Staffs