Author Topic: Fermanagh pronunciation  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Fermanagh pronunciation
« Reply #27 on: Friday 07 October 22 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

Thank you so much for the latest links!  I won’t get into the details, but as I sit here and worry about our cat, I can mindlessly listen to the recordings.

A couple/few years ago, I checked the internet for regional accents, but didn’t gain too much insight.

I am especially interested in the Listening Project as the conversations are long enough to get a full appreciation for speech in different parts of the UK.  While speech may have changed a bit since my ancestors left the UK, it is fascinating to choose a county, listen to several people and get an idea of how my ancestors may have sounded.

In addition, it is very helpful/fun to choose different regions and pick out the differences in the way people talk.

I haven’t favoured any websites lately. I really need to go through all of the links in this topic and go back to my other recent topics and favour the “best” ones as well.

Thank you again, Maiden Stone.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)