Author Topic: Mary McDonough born circa 1870  (Read 216 times)

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McDonough born circa 1870
« on: Tuesday 04 October 22 20:17 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for anything about my great grandmother's sister Mary McDonough. She's on the 1881 census as Mary MacDonald living in Talgarth and the 1891 census living in Brecon, both with the family but I can't find anything much other than that. On the census it says she was born in Brecon but I haven't found her birth record. They were an Irish Traveller family; mother Winifred Fury and father Phillip McDonough. Sometimes they would change their surname to Macdonald, also seen it spelled on records as McDonald, McDonach and so on. In my great uncle's memoirs it says that my great grandmother said she thinks she might have migrated to the USA. I've seen a couple of ship passenger records that might be her but not sure.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McDonough born circa 1870
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 21:35 BST (UK) »
wonder if there's any connection to this

Brecon County Times - 28th August 1913

Brynmawr Police Court. Monday  Before Messrs James Bloer and J Morgan.

HAWKERS IN THE "STONE AGE"

Bartley Gorman, hawker, Brynmawr, was summoned for assaulting Mary Fury, another Brynmawr hawker. Mr D G Harris was for the defence. Complainant said defendant came to her place using bad language and threatening her. He threw stones, one hitting use baby on the head and cutting it. Replying to the Clerk (Mr Bishop), witness admitted defendant was herself hit with a stone. The Bench dismissed the case.

Arising out of this case Mary Fury, alias "Birmingham," and Winifred Fury were summoned for assaulting Caroline Gorman. Complainant said there was "bit of a disturbance owing to Mrs Fury accusing her of stealing a piece of rope. Next day the two defendants came and struck her and threw stones at her. She only wished to have peace and quietness and if the defendants consented to be bound over she was also willing to be so treated. Defendants eventually agreed to this course and the Bench bound all the parties over, and ordered them to pay their own costs.

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 01:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, well they're possibly relatives somehow but the Mary I'm looking for had the surname McDonough rather than Fury. A lot of the traveller families lived in the same areas.

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 01:45 BST (UK) »
wonder if there's any connection to this

Brecon County Times - 28th August 1913

Brynmawr Police Court. Monday  Before Messrs James Bloer and J Morgan.

HAWKERS IN THE "STONE AGE"

Bartley Gorman, hawker, Brynmawr, was summoned for assaulting Mary Fury, another Brynmawr hawker. Mr D G Harris was for the defence. Complainant said defendant came to her place using bad language and threatening her. He threw stones, one hitting use baby on the head and cutting it. Replying to the Clerk (Mr Bishop), witness admitted defendant was herself hit with a stone. The Bench dismissed the case.

Arising out of this case Mary Fury, alias "Birmingham," and Winifred Fury were summoned for assaulting Caroline Gorman. Complainant said there was "bit of a disturbance owing to Mrs Fury accusing her of stealing a piece of rope. Next day the two defendants came and struck her and threw stones at her. She only wished to have peace and quietness and if the defendants consented to be bound over she was also willing to be so treated. Defendants eventually agreed to this course and the Bench bound all the parties over, and ordered them to pay their own costs.

I do think though that Bartley Gorman and Caroline Gorman mentioned in the article are probably the famous bareknuckle boxer "Bulldog Bartley" and his wife who are related somehow to the present day boxing heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury.