Author Topic: 1871 Census  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 October 22 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Seafarer. That information should help.

Before looking further into it, my first thought is that there could be a mix up of more than one family with similar names. I will have a closer look later, but in the mean time I’m sure others will be able to come up with some ideas.

Offline TheSeafarer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 October 22 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Seafarer. That information should help.

Before looking further into it, my first thought is that there could be a mix up of more than one family with similar names. I will have a closer look later, but in the mean time I’m sure others will be able to come up with some ideas.

Thanks! I did wonder if I was conflating two families, but the locations and dates of birth seem to tally, but the names don't seem to be that fixed - Richard John Dawson gets called Richard William in one census, and William gains the middle name of Charles, which then becomes his first name. I've got a few of the certificates, and the witnesses seem to tie back to the family, but having a fresh pair of eyes look at things is always good as you end up seeing what you think you know sometimes.

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 October 22 20:14 BST (UK) »
Please see this new thread on the same subject https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=866744.msg7372226#msg7372226 in which I think I’ve found William Charles/Charles William in Esher in 1871.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk