Author Topic: Jane Howden, likely from Inishmacsaint parish Fermanagh  (Read 368 times)

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Howden, likely from Inishmacsaint parish Fermanagh
« on: Friday 07 October 22 01:39 BST (UK) »
I am seeking the parents of a JANE HOWDEN (spelling varies), who married a JOHN BUSTARD of Frevagh townland in Fermanagh.  She and her husband emigrated to Canada with 4 children in 1838 or 1839 and settled in Quebec.  The marriage would have been before 1830, as their first child was born in 1830.

I believe the Howden family to have resided in Inishmacsaint parish, as I find other Howdens there.  John Bustard was from Devenish parish next door.

This John Bustard was a brother of William, James, Robert and Isabella Bustard.

Associated names are Fiddes, Hamilton, and possibly Fallis and Ovens.
Miller (PA), Cribbs (PA), Schenck (NJ), Piggott (VA),
Trible (VA), Witham (Maine, Ohio), Hudson (VA),
Cloptom (VA), Fleming (VA), Michaux (France, VA)
Morgan (VA), Howden (Ireland), Bustard (Ireland),
Seaton (Scotland), Cameron (Scotland), Kennedy (Scotland), Forbes (Scotland), Reinhard/t (Baden, Minn), Buche (Switzerland), Fouquette (Quebec)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Howden, likely from Inishmacsaint parish Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 22 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi jeanfrane,

I was drawn to you post after noticing Inishmacsaint in the subject heading.  I cannot help you with your question but I am very interested in your associated names.

I am fairly certain that my Ovens ancestor was from Inishmacsaint, I just haven’t found solid proof.

John Ovens was born c1809, quite possibly in Inishmacsaint with the possible parents of William Ovens and Elizabeth Stinson.  John was living in New Jersey, USA in 1839 and settled in Ontario, Canada early 1850s.

There is another Ovens “family” in the Inishmacsaint area, around the same time.

I would be very interested in comparing notes if you are researching Ovens at this time.  I could start another thread elsewhere or communicate by pm if you have interest.

Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 October 22 22:09 BST (UK) »
Lisa.
One of your commenters is correct.  I have a list of baptisms from Inishmacsaint Parish which I think I found at the Family History Center in Salt Lake City (this was long ago, when I was not doing very well with sourcing, so my record is labeled FHC 0992663, whic might be a film or fiche number)

John Ovens was baptized 23 June 1811, parents William Ovens and Elizabeth Stinson of Corcloon (townland).  Two other children were listed as well:
     Alexr., baptized 11 September 1803
     Anne, baptized 3 March 1807

Inishmacsaint is full of Ovens.  Corcloon and Drumcrow seem popular.

The Ovens family is collateral to mine - Anne Ovens married a Howden, and I'm trying to find a marriage of Jane Howden to a Bustard (Devenish parish)

I am attaching the Ovens entries from the list.

Regards,
Jean Frane
Miller (PA), Cribbs (PA), Schenck (NJ), Piggott (VA),
Trible (VA), Witham (Maine, Ohio), Hudson (VA),
Cloptom (VA), Fleming (VA), Michaux (France, VA)
Morgan (VA), Howden (Ireland), Bustard (Ireland),
Seaton (Scotland), Cameron (Scotland), Kennedy (Scotland), Forbes (Scotland), Reinhard/t (Baden, Minn), Buche (Switzerland), Fouquette (Quebec)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 22 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for providing the list.  I actually saw the entire list a few years ago but could not find it the last time I looked.  It is very helpful to see it again and to narrow it down to just Ovens families!

I had a feeling I didn’t state the facts correctly but I didn't know how to word it otherwise - we don’t know who John’s parents were, we are just guessing.

Records for John indicate that he was born in either in 1809 or 1811.
According to family members, he was born in Co. Fermanagh.
We believe we are related to someone who has Ovens ancestors from that area (long story).
Living with John and his family in 1881 in Canada was a Jennie Stinson, age 20, born Ontario.

Perhaps it is just a coincidence, but we thought possibly John’s parents could be William Ovens and Elizabeth Stinson.  I have yet to find proof they were or weren’t his parents.   :-[

Thank you for sharing the list.  It is very helpful.  I will have a look around for Jane Howden and Bustard.  I most likely will not find anything, but it’s worth a try.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
snickersnee, did John and Jane name their children using the Irish naming pattern?  If so, that could give a hint to her parents’ names.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
If you would like to give Jane’s details (and her husband and children, if possibly), please, I could see if I can start looking in North America and work my way back.

Update: I found trees on Anc*try so no need to reply.  :)