Author Topic: George Ross Poste  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Olleyke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Margaret Ann & Frederick Marston, Emmeline Pike
    • View Profile
George Ross Poste
« on: Friday 07 October 22 19:27 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I’m trying to find some more information on the death of George Ross Poste on 19 January 1929. He died in a train accident on the CNR in Ontario.

Thanks in advance

OlleyKe
BLYTH - Norwich, Bradford
BUCK - Horsham St Faiths
DERBYSHIRE - Lancashire, Leeds
EASTO - Bungay, Diss, Fressingfield, Norwich
EDGE - South Creake
HOLMES - Crostwick, Norwich
JACOBS - Norwich, Tasburgh
LANDAMORE - Old Catton
MANN - Aylsham, Norwich
MURRELL - Norwich
OLLEY - Norwich, Fulham, Great Yarmouth, Hammersmith, Skeyton
PAINTER - Wigan
ROWE - Wigan
SAVORY - Flitcham
SMITH - Norwich
STOREY - Skeyton
UNDERWOOD - Lancashire

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: George Ross Poste
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 22 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From the Globe newspaper 1929 Fatal Bayside Wreck

Belleville, Jan. 20.—Owing to a washout at a small wooden bridge one and one-half miles west of Bayside Station, midway between Trenton and Bellville, Saturday, Roy Poste, aged 36, Trenton, engineer on the Canadian National Railways, lost his life when his engine overturned and the tender and several cars piled in on top. The fireman, Bert Newson, jumped clear of the wreck and received but minor injuries.

John Pelkey, aged 31 years, brakeman, and a resident of Trenton, died at his home today from burns received from steam of the engine.

Pelky was the head-end brakeman, and was riding on the engine when the wreck occurred. He jumped, but did not clear the wreckage and received terrible burns about the body, face and arms. He leaves a wife and two small children.

Post was extricated from the wreckage about four hours after the accident.

An inquest was opened under Dr. Crowe, Coroner and after preliminary evidence was taken, it was adjourned for one week. The engineer leaves a widow and 5-year-old daughter.
http://www.cnr-in-ontario.com/Database/DisplayArticle.php?publicationID=1&dateStart=1929-01-01&dateEnd=1929-12-31

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Some of the back story of the 1929 floods in that area. A mention of George Poste, 4th paragraph
from the bottom.
http://porthopehistory.com/floods/1929page.htm

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 October 22 01:23 BST (UK) »
Death ruled accidental.   From Toronto Star, 28 Jan 1929 page 5

Offline Shelley Williamson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 23 00:41 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was George Ross Poste.
He died in a railway accident in January 1929.
He was the engineer of a train that was derailed after a bridge was washed out at Bayside, Ontario,
which is very close to the present Air Force base in Trenton, Ontario.
Unfortunately, the articles in the press at the time were not correct. They state that his name was "Roy" and that he had a young daughter.
Neither of these is true. He went by the name of Ross and he had only one child, who was my father and was also named George Ross Poste and was called George.
My grandfather had the letter 'e' added to his name at some point for reasons that I am not familiar with.
I am curious as to why you are looking for information about my grandfather, but will answer any questions that you may have .