Author Topic: George Moon  (Read 695 times)

Offline syscjohno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Moon
« on: Friday 07 October 22 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have the death of a George Moon in Turrels Buildings Maidenhead in 1873, he was a Paper Mill Labourer, this piece of info gave me enough to trace him back to Tufton Hampshire.
A burial record states:
Burial George Moon 08.09.1873 St Luke's Maidenhead 53yrs old living in Barracks Maidenhead-this is 100% him.

I'm a little confused as his death certificate states Turrels Buildings but the burial record states Barracks, beside the obvious what is the Barracks?

On the same note I also have his son registered as Tom Moon born Sep qtr 1872 Cookham 2c, his death is 1877 under Thomas Church Moon, his burial is 24.02.1877 St Luke's Maidenhead 4yrs 6 months living in The Barracks.

Another son registered George Church was born 1867 Turrels Buildings Maidenhead, father George Church Moon, his death in 1884 was registered under George Church Moon his burial 12.04.1884 St Luke's Maidenhead 18yrs.

Any ideas for The Barracks please and any ideas for the additon of Church as a middle name or additional surname, please find below what the family reseach found so far:

Martha Talmage is the mother to the below children:
Alice Talmage b: Jun qtr 1865 Whitchurch 2c pge 182 she married Samuel Varnell using Alice Church Moon.
George Church b: 1867 death + burial registered George Church Moon.
Mary Ann Moon b: 1869 married as Mary Ann Church Moon.
Tom Moon b: 1872 death as Thomas Churchmoon burial registered Thomas Church Moon.

George Moon died in 1873 and I believe is the father to George Church, Mary Ann Moon and Tom Moon

BUT in 1871 Martha was:

1871 census Turrell Buildings Cookham
George Church HD M 45yrs Labourer b: Whitchurch Hants
Matha Church WI M 33yrs b: Whitchurch Hants
Alice Church DA 7yrs Scholar b: Cookham Berks
George Church SO 4yrs b: Cookham Berks
Mary A Church DA 2yrs b: Cookham Berks

Martha registered a child's birth James Church Moon Jun qtr 1875 Cookham 2c pge 401

Are George Church and George Moon different men, I think this is definate through the last registered child? Did Martha have 2 men/husbands between 1865-1875? By the way I have not found a marriage for Martha Talmage to a George Church or a George Moon

In 1881 Martha was:
1881 census 25 Turrells Buildings Cookham
Martha Church HD W 40yrs Launderess b: Hants Whitchurch
George Church SO M 13yrs Labourer b: Berks Cookham
Mary A Church DA M 11yrs b: Berks Cookham
James Church SO 7yrs b: Berks Cookham

Marriage Martha Moom Robert Christmas Wall Dec qtr 1881 Cookham 2c pge 891
Married 02.10.1881 in the parish of SS Andrews Berkshire.
Robert Christmas Wall was 54yrs old, a Widower living in this parish, father Thomas Easmus Wall ?
Martha Moom was 40yrs old, a Widow living in this parish, father James Talmage Bricklayer.
? and ? were the witnesses.

An outsider's point of view would be great please and The Barracks explanation would be gratefully received. Thank you for reading.

regards,

Sarah

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Moon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 October 22 20:52 BST (UK) »
I think George Cook and Moon are one and the same - they have same year and place of birth for starters. It may be that he was born Church and then his mother (re)married and became Moon - he might sometime use his birth surname and sometimes his stepfather's surname. This would explain why most of the children have both parts of the name.

James clearly isn't his, however he'd take the surname  his mother was using. I can't find a George & Martha marriage either - it might be given the age difference that George wasn't free to marry

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 October 22 21:02 BST (UK) »
here's some linkages

1841 - Longparish, Hurstbourne Priors [Whitchurch district]
William Moon    50
Mary Moon   50
Rebecca Moon    20
Mary Moon   15
George Moon    13
Caroline Moon    11
James Newport    26
Elizabeth Newport   20

1871 Whitchurch
James Talmage   48    Head bricklayer
Eliza Talmage    47    Wife
Elizabeth Talmage   19    Daughter
John Talmage    9    Son
Dracille Talmage   7    Daughter
Ann Smalbones   25    Daughter
Annie Smalbones   4    Granddaughter
Kate Smalbones   4/12    Granddaughter
Rebecca Moon    50    Lodger b Tufton

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 October 22 21:08 BST (UK) »
Some of my theory doesn't work! There's a marriage between William Moon and Mary Newport in 1819, which given the names in the 1841 household looks to be George's parents

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 22 02:46 BST (UK) »
For interest, Turrell's Buildings shows on this 1875 map. I can't see a "Barracks" though.  :-\
https://maps.nls.uk/view/104196811

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 October 22 02:51 BST (UK) »
Ah, a few newspaper articles of the time refer to "Turrell's Buildings, commonly called "the Barracks"
eg: 27 July 1872 - Reading Mercury  :D

Offline syscjohno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 October 22 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddys52,

Thank you for your replies it's interesting to learn that the Turrells Buildings were known as The Barracks and thank you for the map.

I have purchased some more certificates today hoping to distinguish between the 2 George's!

My first thought was that perhaps Martha had moved in with George Church in the 1871 census and from that they produced James Church Moon born in 1875.

BUT George Moon died in 1873 which makes me question why was she with this George Church (haven't found any info about him at this time) in 1871. By the way James Cadle is listed as the informant on George Moon's death cert.

It leads me to think that George Moon and George Church are the same but don't understand the surname switch or childrens suname/middle names additions etc.

Let's hope James Church Moon born in 1875 makes some sense  ;D

Thank you again for taking the time in looking in to this and your suggestions.

regards,

Sarah

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 October 22 10:53 BST (UK) »
As I said earlier, I'm fairly sure George Church/Moon is one person. This sort of situation usually comes either from mother changing surname due to a marriage or use of a maiden name somewhere as a middle name which sticks (perhaps to differentiate between two families of the same surname in a village). From going further back into George's mother's family I can't see a Church. William Moon is a bit more difficult to go back from.   

Do George's siblings also use Church Moon?

Offline syscjohno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 October 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel,

Unfortunately his sisters that I found do not use the Church name.

thanks,

Sarah