Author Topic: Looking for Giles Poole's death  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Giles Poole's death
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 October 22 23:09 BST (UK) »
West Coker land tax: 1822 Giles Poole occupied a house and garden owned by George Warry, proprietor. Assessed at 3.5.4. In 1823 the same property was occupied by Edward Phelps. Another person occupied in 1832 and it is the 1832 listing that shows that the property was a house and garden. [Did not search prior to 1822.] [Information on George Warry in "The Annals of West Coker" (searchable in Google).]

1835: Burial at Hardington-Mandeville on 4 Aug 1835 of John Poole of West Coker, age 63. Could this be Giles?

1845: Betty Poole, abode West Coker, was buried on June 14, 1845 in Hardington-Mandeville Parish, age 71.
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 October 22 15:38 BST (UK) »
West Coker land tax: 1822 Giles Poole occupied a house and garden owned by George Warry, proprietor. Assessed at 3.5.4. In 1823 the same property was occupied by Edward Phelps. Another person occupied in 1832 and it is the 1832 listing that shows that the property was a house and garden. [Did not search prior to 1822.] [Information on George Warry in "The Annals of West Coker" (searchable in Google).]

1835: Burial at Hardington-Mandeville on 4 Aug 1835 of John Poole of West Coker, age 63. Could this be Giles?

1845: Betty Poole, abode West Coker, was buried on June 14, 1845 in Hardington-Mandeville Parish, age 71.

Thank you Kamante. (Been away a couple of days) This all looks fairly convincing. I have the burial of "John" on a huge table of Poole BMDs I made back along but without the land tax information of West Coker I would never have guessed it might be Giles, obviously, but the age is dead right.  Looks like a loose end may well have been tied. I am most grateful.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 October 22 21:36 BST (UK) »
If you have an interest in Betty (Willy) Poole's "Willy family", take a look at my "Thomas Willy yeoman" tree on Ancestry.com. Betty's parents were Mr. George Willy and Joan Thomas. Her siblings were John Willy (the marriage witness), Susanna Willy (m. John Horwood) and Mary Willy (m. Thomas Stuckey).

1822: By an Indenture dated April 10, 1822 the following premises were conveyed by John Willy, the son and administrator of his father George's estate: the Barn & orchard & 2 Beasts Leazes to Robert Richards, the one acre in Bineworth, the two acres in Hill and the one acre at Broadmead to John Gifford in trust for the said John Willy, one of the acres in Yonder Norton & the acre in Tunvilon? to Giles Poole & Betty his wife, & the other acre (Hill Orchard?) in Yonder Norton to John Horwood & Susan his wife & the acre in Kilworth to Thomas Stuckey & Joan Stuckey. [Source: Southwest Heritage Centre Item DD\LC/17/5 (Box 17).]
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)