Author Topic: Looking for Giles Poole's death  (Read 1610 times)

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Giles Poole's death
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 October 22 12:30 BST (UK) »
<Are there any wills or land purchases at the Somerset Archives that can help?

I've looked at some of the PCC Wills on ancestry and none mention Giles.>

Yes I have all the wills I could find of his brothers (corrected: George of Seavington d.1817, William of Kingstone d. 1837, Robert of Seavington St Mary d. 1850, James also of S St Mary d. 1854).

What I need is their father's will - Thomas Poole of S. St Mary died 1791 buried Seavington St Michael. I know he made one - The Calendar of Wills and Administrations in the court of the archdeacon of Taunton 1537-1799 for Seavington Michael & St. Mary, Somerset  tells me so. I suppose it was destroyed, possibly during WWII, or can anyone find it?

Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 October 22 12:46 BST (UK) »
Notes for others following

George Poole is 1817 gave everything to his brother Robert and Robert's sons George Lewis Poole and William Poole. mentions his sister Mary Tott? money for her own use not her husband.
Buried 17 July 1817.

His sister Mary married William Tett widow 19 May 1788 George Poole was a witness with Mary Darby.
----------------
William Poole 1837 to wife Mary, Daughters Honor Sampson (married Richard Sampson 1824) and Mary Long (married William Long 1825) to brother James Poole.

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 October 22 14:41 BST (UK) »
<What I need is their father's will - Thomas Poole of S. St Mary died 1791 buried Seavington St Michael. I know he made one - The Calendar of Wills and Administrations in the court of the archdeacon of Taunton 1537-1799 for Seavington Michael & St. Mary, Somerset  tells me so. I suppose it was destroyed, possibly during WWII, or can anyone find it?>

I realise this will isn't going to tell me Giles' date of death/burial -he wasn't even married by 1791 ! Might give other helpful family information though....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 October 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it would be best if you contact Somerset Heritage centre to see if it survived  :-\
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/16672fb5-3dd7-4762-87be-290a66b3150b
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 16:03 BST (UK) »
Seavington St. Michael land tax:
1766, 1767 and 1781-1791: Thomas Poole
1792-1818: Giles Poole, proprietor but only occupies property 1792-1802; does this information suggest that Giles died in 1818?

Also, 1830 Giles Pool & family in Franklin, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA. Could this be the son?
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 17:15 BST (UK) »
Seavington St. Michael land tax:
1766, 1767 and 1781-1791: Thomas Poole
1792-1818: Giles Poole, proprietor but only occupies property 1792-1802; does this information suggest that Giles died in 1818?

Also, 1830 Giles Pool & family in Franklin, Bergen County, New Jersey, USA. Could this be the son?

Thank you for finding that Kamante.
Giles' occupying the property would fit with the fact that he is recorded as "of Seavington St Michael" on his first 2 children's baptism records (up to 1802) but as "of Hardington" for the later 4. I'll look into that further, and the USA possibility for the son. Two families of first cousins had emigrated to Canada so perhaps he got itchy feet too!
And I'll contact the Somerset Heritage Centre, too, for the father's will.

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 18:51 BST (UK) »
More land tax information for you - this time for Hardington Parish. I see Giles Pool/Poole as the occupier of various properties in Hardington for the period of 1804 through 1822, and then he is gone (abroad??).

I do not see any Giles Poole (or his wife's) burial records in Hardington Parish.

Giles' parents were Thomas Poole and Honour Hutchings, with Honour being of Kingstone Parish at the time of her marriage in 1755 at Kingston. I have not looked at Kingston for any Poole burials.
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)

Online teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 19:06 BST (UK) »
More land tax information for you - this time for Hardington Parish. I see Giles Pool/Poole as the occupier of various properties in Hardington for the period of 1804 through 1822, and then he is gone (abroad??).

I do not see any Giles Poole (or his wife's) burial records in Hardington Parish.

/quote]

Ahha so he was certainly alive in 1822 and was definitely in Hardington. Yes indeed, perhaps he too went abroad. Must look into it.
Where did you find the land tax information? TheGenealogist? FindMyPast?
Thank you for searching.

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 19:32 BST (UK) »
I can view the land tax information at familysearch.org at the local LDS family history center/library near my house.