Author Topic: Deciphering text in a Parish record 1903 (Parish of Dalziel  (Read 154 times)

Offline Bella55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering text in a Parish record 1903 (Parish of Dalziel
« on: Sunday 09 October 22 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a copy of a page from Parish of Dalziel records for a woman, Mary Fairley or White, who was moved to Lanark District Asylum from Aberdeen Royal Asylum in 1903.  I can make out most of what it says but not the words underlined (badly!) in red in the attached photo.

"Pauper is the widow of Wm White Cemetery Superintendent who died here in January last. Residences. Aberdeen 6 ?? ? Dalziel Cemetery houses 30 years."

One of the sons of Mary and William lived in Aberdeen but I note from Census entries in 1881, 1891 & 1901 that William & family lived in the 'Dalziel Cemetery House' so my assumption is that the parents moved in with the son in Aberdeen at some point.

Does anyone have any idea what the text means between 'Aberdeen' and 'Dalziel'?  I think the first part might be '6 ms' i.e. 6 months but that's a guess.

thanks,
Bella55

PS I've not uploaded a photo before so i hope it works!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering text in a Parish record 1903 (Parish of Dalziel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 22 19:04 BST (UK) »
It’s probably 6 ms (= 6 months) and p. (= previously). So she was living for the last 6 months in Aberdeen, and for the previous 30 years in Dalziel Cemetery Houses.

Offline Bella55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering text in a Parish record 1903 (Parish of Dalziel
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 22 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox.  That would make sense.

Now trying to read up about asylums in Scotland.  There's mention on the record of Mary being 'partially disabled' with the Description of Disablement being recorded as 'insanity' but in the Other Information section copied in the attached image, she's described as a pauper and mentions that her husband 'died here' so I'm not sure if they were in asylum due to poverty or illness (or both).  That's for another day!  Meantime, thanks for the help.

best wishes
Bella