Author Topic: Old Seahouses Book  (Read 471 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Seahouses Book
« on: Monday 10 October 22 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've been told there may be a photo of the elusive John Woodger in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Seahouses-Katrina-Porteous/dp/184033682X

I was wondering if anyone in the Newcastle area knew of a copy in any library so I can check before I buy it?

I've checked with North Shields, they don't have it.

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Seahouses Book
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 22 17:04 BST (UK) »
Michael, I have reserved a copy from Northumberland Libraries and will let you know in due course if it's worth you buying.

John Woodger was, I think, mentioned in 'Villages by the Sea - Craster' on BBC recently. It's available on iplayer.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 22 17:10 BST (UK) »
Michael, I have reserved a copy from Northumberland Libraries and will let you know in due course if it's worth you buying.

John Woodger was, I think, mentioned in 'Villages by the Sea - Craster' on BBC recently. It's available on iplayer.

:-) you were a contender for the copy that has been reserved when I searched

Michael, for future ref I started with a web search for Northumberland Libraries and from this page

https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Libraries-and-archives.aspx

chose to Search for Library Items Online
Bunged the author's name in the Keyword search field and then clicked on the title you are looking for.
and that told me they have 5 copies (which are held at Amble, Berwick and Woodhorn)

similar scenario is likely to work for any County Library service

Boo

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 22 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've been told there may be a photo of the elusive John Woodger in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Seahouses-Katrina-Porteous/dp/184033682X

I was wondering if anyone in the Newcastle area knew of a copy in any library so I can check before I buy it?

I have a copy. What are you looking for? Is it just John Woodger?

I have a copy, what is it you are looking for? Is it just John Woodger?

I've checked with North Shields, they don't have it.

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 22 17:28 BST (UK) »
Have just quickly looked through my copy of the said book and I can't find a photograph of John Woodger. He is mentioned by name on page 32:

John Woodger, one of a family of Newcastle fish curers, bought property between Union and Taylor streets, and introduved a new smoking method called 'kippering'. The herring were split, placed in a bath of brine, then hung in rows on tenterhooks, over oak sawdust fires, and smoked for just 12 hours. Woodger's buildings were demolished in the 1990s, and Swallow's is now the last surviving smokehouse from that proud Seahouses tradition'

Page 33 shows a photograph of W S Norris' herring yard which according to the text stood on the southwest side of Taylor Street, in what had been Woodger's yard. The photograph shows and names a number of 'herring lasses' along with Matt Norris.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 22 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the help everyone.

I've seen a photo from the book in a Facebook group but it's been tightly cropped so I don't know who is in it.

It shows three women sat in the middle of a cobbled yard working, there's loads of people stood around watching, mostly women but there's a few men in jackets, waistcoats and a couple in bowler hats. There are three garage type areas in the background, the one on the right has a large number 8 painted above it.

It's obviously a staged photo and I thought the man in the center in the jacket and waistcoat with the pocket watch might have been him but without the caption I have no idea.

AllanUK, does any of that sound like one you've seen and if so does it have a caption?

Thanks again for the help everyone,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 22 17:56 BST (UK) »
Michael,
I have just slowly looked through the book again (in fact twice!) and I can't see any photo that resembles your description. My copy of the book was first published in 2014 -- I don't know if there has been a reprint possibly with extra photographs.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 22 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for looking Allan, I've just worked out you can attach photos so I'm adding the one that's on Facebook, hopefully that's OK.

Michael

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 October 22 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Just looked again to compare -- the image that you posted isn't in the book.

Allan