Author Topic: Thomas NOSWORTHY in Belleville, Ontario  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Thomas NOSWORTHY in Belleville, Ontario
« on: Monday 10 October 22 22:48 BST (UK) »
According to the Wesleyan Baptismal Register, a Thomas NOSWORTHY and his wife, Mary, baptised a son, James, at Belleville, Ontario on 22 December 1846. I have followed James until his death but I cannot find any further evidence of his parents, Thomas and Mary. As the 1851 census is not reliable in terms of coverage available for viewing, they certainly have not been found there. But not in any further census forward. No record of death for either. If not in the 1881 census, I suppose one can only assume both died before that time.  IF Thomas is the person I believe he is, he would have been born around 1820. Any help most appreciated. Nikkei
NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas NOSWORTHY in Belleville, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 00:51 BST (UK) »
I note that James was baptized the same day as a Harriet, daughter of a James & Harriet Nosworthy, also in Belleville, by the same minister which suggests that James Sr. is likely a brother to your Thomas.

Only one part of the 1851 Belleville Census is missing:

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~onhastin/Census/1851/1851ab.htm

Death records did not begin to be recorded until after 1869 (along with births and marriages) so if they died prior to then, you won't find a death record for either of them.

James Sr. and his wife Harriet are in Belleville in 1871, born born in England.   Harriet's maiden name may have been Appleby as there is an Ann Appleby, a widow, aged 75, born England, living with them.

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 01:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying. I agree with you that James Sr. and Thomas Nosworthy were most likely brothers. I suspected the death of Thomas might not be available as too early for records. Wondering if there might be a burial record in a church register somewhere, but ??? One would think he would have been buried around Belleville.

James Nosworthy m Harriett C. Furnival 17 March 1840 Victoria, Ontario..(familysearch). Further research shows the "C' to be Clapham. Will check out the "Appleby" name.

James Sr. burial is on www.findagrave.com in 1893 BUT I believe the stone is incorrectly transcribed. I believe it says, born South Tawton, Co. Devon.   There is no Co. Kent. Both brothers (James and Thomas) can be found baptised in South Tawton, 1816 and 1820. Unfortunately a newspaper writeup upon the death of James Sr. states  he was born in "Plymouth, England, on April 27, 1815.... but of course newspapers cannot be relied on, and that place does not support the memorial stone at all.  Thanks so much for your time. Nikkei

NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 01:29 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Directory for Belleville only shows James living on North Bridge Street, along with Mrs. Appleby.  No entry for Thomas.

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 01:33 BST (UK) »
I really think Thomas and his wife must have died between 1843 and 1861 then.

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 01:43 BST (UK) »
Would there be any directories for Bowmanville as it would seem Thomas' son, James (Jr.) lived there in due time, so perhaps Thomas did too?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 01:46 BST (UK) »
When James (born 1846) marries for the second time in 1893, he names his parents as Thomas Noseworthy and Mary Cundol (sic).  He says he was born in Belleville, but living in Bowmanville, Durham County at the time of marriage.

When James Sr. and Harriet married in 1840, it was in Victoria District, which encompassed Belleville, but that entry doesn't give residences (unlike others in the records).  Districts were abolished in 1850 when counties were established and Belleville became part of Hastings County.

Here's the image from Find-a-Grave. I think it actually says Co. Dover.
https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2020/182/211971701_5dbb48f1-09fb-46d8-be80-87a44fd1928a.jpeg

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 01:51 BST (UK) »
This website is owned by an expert in Durham and Northumberland Counties, and also plays his cards close to his chest, so it may cost you some money to get the info out of him, but there is a reference to a Thomas C. Noseworthy, ex of Bowmanville (Durham County) who dies in Winnipeg but no reference to when or age:

https://www.ontariogenealogy.com/n_ancestor.html

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 02:04 BST (UK) »
I will check that out re Thomas C. Noseworthy ex of Bowmanville... thanks so much.