Author Topic: Milford Haven in WW2  (Read 308 times)

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Milford Haven in WW2
« on: Tuesday 11 October 22 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am researching my family history. My grandmother, who was originally from Aberdeen and then moved to Edinburgh, seems to have moved to Milford Haven in the war years. She gave my dad away when he was 6 weeks old in Edinburgh in 1930 but she later turns up in Milford Haven, living with a man called Harold Goldsmith.

Harold (originally from Jersey) fled the island following Nazi occupation in 1940 and seems to have taken employment at The West Coast Co-operative Ship Repairing and Supply Company in Milford Haven from March 1940 until 8th September 1945. According to a letter of recommendation from the war office, he was "entirely in charge of the whole of the electrical work being carried out on behalf of the Admiralty and Ministry of War Transport" during this time. I also have other documentation dated August 1945 showing that he worked at the Milford Haven Ice Company Ltd.

I have no idea where or when he met my grandmother but I assume in Milford Haven.
I've found the pair of them living at 15, Charles Street, Milford Haven in 1945 in the electoral registers. Harold also appears on the electoral rolls for that address in 1946 and 1947, although I'm not sure why as I believe they both moved to Jersey after the war in 1945.

They adopted a son in Guildford in 1945 (I assume they did this on their way to Jersey). This seems ironic in light of the fact that she gave her own baby away back in 1930 in Edinburgh. After months and months of research I have managed to find her adopted son. He is a lovely man and he's been very helpful in my search but neither of us know when and where Gertrude and Harold met. His adopted mother (my grandma) died when he was just 9 years old. And he has absolutely no record of his adoption so we don't know why or when exactly he was adopted etc.

I wonder if any of you roots chatters could perhaps offer the benefit of your expertise? The adopted son seems to think Gertrude and Harold met in Milford Haven but I wonder what have brought my Grandma there during the war years? I'm not aware of any connection she has with the area. As far as I know she was born and bred Scottish. Her family were all living in Aberdeen, although it seems she later moved to Edinburgh.
It's worth noting also that in the electoral rolls for Milford Haven she is listed as "Gertrude Goldsmith" although I haven't been able to find a marriage certificate for them. Before that she would have been known as "Gertrude Stephen or Ross." Although to complicate matters, her adopted son told me she went by the name of Pat!

Another question is, why would they adopt a baby in Guildford? Would this have been arranged by the authorities in Milford Haven? Surely you couldn't just travel through Guildford on the way to Jersey and pick up a baby on the way??

Can anyone help or offer perspective?

Many thanks in advance!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Milford Haven in WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 21:59 BST (UK) »
The Adoption of Children Act (1926) made adoptions legal, so there should be records of a 1945 adoption.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 20:03 BST (UK) »
'should' be records but not necessarily as it could have been private or in response to a newspaper advert like the one mentioned here.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1122347.author-meets-long-lost-brother/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 21:30 BST (UK) »
Does the adopted son you are in contact with have a passport? If so, is it in his adopted surname? If it is then there must an adoption order somewhere which would be linked to his birth certificate. I suggest that if he wants to get those details, he contacts this organisation who can advise him on how to proceed: http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/Channels/ Alternatively he can do it through his local council's Social Services department.
He is the only person who is entitled to access whatever information the GRO Adoption Register holds. But, if there was an adoption order, it may well include more details about your grandmother and her relationship with Harold Goldsmith. It is highly unlikely that a couple who were not married would have been able to adopt, however informal the process.

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 22:57 BST (UK) »
'should' be records but not necessarily as it could have been private or in response to a newspaper advert like the one mentioned here.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1122347.author-meets-long-lost-brother/

Unbelievable story! Amazing they were reunited

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 22:59 BST (UK) »
Does the adopted son you are in contact with have a passport? If so, is it in his adopted surname? If it is then there must an adoption order somewhere which would be linked to his birth certificate. I suggest that if he wants to get those details, he contacts this organisation who can advise him on how to proceed: http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/Channels/ Alternatively he can do it through his local council's Social Services department.
He is the only person who is entitled to access whatever information the GRO Adoption Register holds. But, if there was an adoption order, it may well include more details about your grandmother and her relationship with Harold Goldsmith. It is highly unlikely that a couple who were not married would have been able to adopt, however informal the process.

Very interesting thanks so much Andy. I will let him know. He did tell me he had trouble with his passport actually when he first tried to get one when he was in the navy and they couldn’t find him in the system. I will pass this useful information onto him. Thanks