Author Topic: German Church in Liverpool - Kraulodat & Palogad  (Read 901 times)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Church in Liverpool - Kraulodat & Palogad
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 20:46 BST (UK) »
I see that you now have the information you require, but others may like to know that there were a couple of churches catering for Germanic people who came to live in Liverpool.  If ancestors were Catholics, then they would attend normal Catholic churches in the UK, but the usual Germanic religion was Ev. Lutheran who kept better records than the Scots, and definitely better than most English church records.

I discovered the German village where my ancestor came from by finding my Yorkshire grandmother's Ev. Lutheran church baptism, which stated she'd been named after her paternal grandmother,  who still lived in a specific German village. Unlike the English Church marriage record of her parents, the Lutheran record gave full names of all grandparents, both partners' full names plus full names and places of witnesses and occupations of everyone.

I see there were two churches in Liverpool catering for non-English parishioners.  One being a German Lutheran Church in Mill Street, with christening records for 1830-1845

.... and the other was a Brunswick/Braunschweig church in Moss Street,  (Brunswick/Braunschweig is an area in Germany). with christening records for the period; C 1814-1836-7.

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/898326/L.pdf
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 22:50 BST (UK) »
I see that you now have the information you require, but others may like to know that there were a couple of churches catering for Germanic people who came to live in Liverpool.  If ancestors were Catholics, then they would attend normal Catholic churches in the UK, but the usual Germanic religion was Ev. Lutheran who kept better records than the Scots, and definitely better than most English church records.

I discovered the German village where my ancestor came from by finding my Yorkshire grandmother's Ev. Lutheran church baptism, which stated she'd been named after her paternal grandmother,  who still lived in a specific German village. Unlike the English Church marriage record of her parents, the Lutheran record gave full names of all grandparents, both partners' full names plus full names and places of witnesses and occupations of everyone.

I see there were two churches in Liverpool catering for non-English parishioners.  One being a German Lutheran Church in Mill Street, with christening records for 1830-1845

.... and the other was a Brunswick/Braunschweig church in Moss Street,  (Brunswick/Braunschweig is an area in Germany). with christening records for the period; C 1814-1836-7.

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/898326/L.pdf
Thanks for that information!  I'm hoping to get some answers to this mystery :)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 October 22 02:22 BST (UK) »
Update:  For a small donation to the German Church in Liverpool IIlona Ziessler is going to search the registers for me. 
I emailed the church and they responded back promptly which I've over the moon about.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 October 22 02:34 BST (UK) »
That's great, please let us know if you receive any further information. I'm interested in the child Anna, definitely on the ship with them, but not born on the voyage (as per newspaper report of the arrival of the Orari). Hoping you find a baptism.  :)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 October 22 02:41 BST (UK) »
That's great, please let us know if you receive any further information. I'm interested in the child Anna, definitely on the ship with them, but not born on the voyage (as per newspaper report of the arrival of the Orari). Hoping you find a baptism.  :)
Sure will, here in NZ she was known as Annie Jessie Crowder who in 1896 married William Archibald TATE.  They had 9 children.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 October 22 16:49 BST (UK) »
Update:  For a small donation to the German Church in Liverpool IIlona Ziessler is going to search the registers for me. 
I emailed the church and they responded back promptly which I've over the moon about.

I'm excited for you.   I did more or less the same thing when I discovered that the Ev. Lutheran church in England had given the name of the village of my German roots.

Surfing the web gave me the nearest Lutheran church in what is now Germany.  I wrote to the Church enclosing a small monetary gift.  In my letter I stated the names of the children of my English gt.grandmother and German gt. grandfather.

It wasn't long before I received information from the Ev. Lutheran church that apparently only opened once a week.  They listed the full names and dates of birth/baptisms of my Gt.grandfather and his eleven siblings !!  With the letter was enclosed a beautiful set of printed pictures of the church and the village (Steinlah).

the list of baptisms also included names of his mother's siblings.  I knew that an "Uncle Conrad" had brought my gt. grandfather to England but there wasn't a "Conrad" in the list - I wrote back and asked if a "Conrad" had been squeezed in between a couple of other family baptisms. The church wrote back and agreed that they'd missed off details of a "Conrad".   In those days a vicar had to send a list of boys names who had their 20th birthday that year to a specified area office.  Those boys would then be drafted into the German navy and Conrad had done a runner and joined a travelling group of musicians.  Being part of a group of travelling musicians was how my gt. grandfather came to be in England where he met my gt. grandmother.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 October 22 03:59 BST (UK) »

I'm excited for you.   I did more or less the same thing when I discovered that the Ev. Lutheran church in England had given the name of the village of my German roots.

Surfing the web gave me the nearest Lutheran church in what is now Germany.  I wrote to the Church enclosing a small monetary gift.  In my letter I stated the names of the children of my English gt.grandmother and German gt. grandfather.

It wasn't long before I received information from the Ev. Lutheran church that apparently only opened once a week.  They listed the full names and dates of birth/baptisms of my Gt.grandfather and his eleven siblings !!  With the letter was enclosed a beautiful set of printed pictures of the church and the village (Steinlah).

the list of baptisms also included names of his mother's siblings.  I knew that an "Uncle Conrad" had brought my gt. grandfather to England but there wasn't a "Conrad" in the list - I wrote back and asked if a "Conrad" had been squeezed in between a couple of other family baptisms. The church wrote back and agreed that they'd missed off details of a "Conrad".   In those days a vicar had to send a list of boys names who had their 20th birthday that year to a specified area office.  Those boys would then be drafted into the German navy and Conrad had done a runner and joined a travelling group of musicians.  Being part of a group of travelling musicians was how my gt. grandfather came to be in England where he met my gt. grandmother.

Thank Rena, I'm heartened by your story too.  From what they have said so far my GG Grandparents were married by the first pastor of the German Church in Liverpool, David Hirsch.  The two main occupations of the congregation at that time were seamen and sugar bakers, the latter was my GG Grandfathers occupation on the cert.  I have high hopes  :)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 October 22 08:50 BST (UK) »
So many links already provided, and you have made contact for a search, which is great.

I googled > (archivist of the German Church Liverpool) < and several links show there that might prove useful.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.