Author Topic: Weir's from Co Tyrone  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Kit17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Weir's from Co Tyrone
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 October 22 14:03 BST (UK) »
Susannah/Susan mean lily in Hebrew but the child was called Sarah Catherine. Notice that mother signed with her mark.
Matilda Ann (McFarland) Weir also used her mark for 1917 marriage and birth of daughter Martha in 1918.
One thing which may or may not throw some light on Lily is school registers. By the time she was born the Infants Register might have given an exact date or month and years (should at the very least probably show age in years & months). Second register when she got into older grades should also record similar details. Presuming she was originally Sarah Catherine and born 1912 then she might have started school c1916- before 1917 marriage. Even if she was entered as Lily it should show if she was called McFarland. PRONI do have a large collection of registers (listed in their e-catalogue).
Also, any trace of a baptism?

Thank you again for your help.  I had tried every name l could think of that linked with Lily but never thought it could be Susan.  So now l can search for certs and trees with a Susan.  I did wonder if she was born to Matilda before she married James, but l couldn't find a first marriage for her so thought l was looking at it from the wrong angle, but it seems my hunch might have been right. 

Lots of new leads for me to try and find.
Again thank you
Robinson, Miller, Greer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 October 22 16:40 BST (UK) »
Where are you getting the name Susan from? The child born in 1912 was Sarah not Susan. In Ulster Lily is commonly a nickname for Elizabeth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kit17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 October 22 12:31 BST (UK) »
Where are you getting the name Susan from? The child born in 1912 was Sarah not Susan. In Ulster Lily is commonly a nickname for Elizabeth.

I did try Elizabeth but couldn't find any Elizabeths born 1911 - 1913 when l thought she would be born.  I also tried Lillian and Lily but nothing either.
Robinson, Miller, Greer