Author Topic: Admiral's Cox'n  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Admiral's Cox'n
« on: Thursday 13 October 22 20:13 BST (UK) »
   My great grandfather ended his career as admiral's cox,n in 1874, and I understood that the job was mainly to do with looking after and sailing the admiral's official vessel.
   I heard a story yesterday of a man who held the same post in the early years of WW2, and according to his daughter, telling the story, it also seemed to involve being something like a batman. Was this something that changed over the years or can I assume that gr-grandad's work was similar?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Admiral's Cox'n
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 22 20:36 BST (UK) »
From Wikipedia:
In the Royal Navy in the days of sail, the coxswain was a petty officer or chief petty officer who commanded the barge of a captain or admiral. Later the coxswain was the senior deck petty officer or chief petty officer aboard a smaller vessel such as a corvette or submarine, who was responsible for the steering and also assumed the duties which would be performed by the chief boatswain's mate and master-at-arms aboard larger vessels.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Admiral's Cox'n
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 22 22:19 BST (UK) »
   The WW2 man was on a large battleship. I am not going to name the ship, as it is not my story, but perhaps the duties had changed by then.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire