Author Topic: John Jordon or Jordan and other variants  (Read 4550 times)

Offline janyjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Jordon or Jordan and other variants
« on: Friday 14 October 22 00:27 BST (UK) »
I would like to find Irish records about my great-great grandfather John Jordon, who I believe was a weaver in Gortroche, Ballyhooly or Castletownroche in County Cork, Ireland. John was born about 1805, Catherine about 1802 and Patrick about 1840. The three of them emigrated to Canada between 1841 and 1851. They do not appear in the 1841 Census of Canada but they do appear in the 1851 Census under the surname Georden. That spelling does not appear in any of the Irish records I have found. They lived in the sub-district of Hallowell in the district of Prince Edward County in Ontario, Canada.  Catharine died in 1853 and John married Mary O’Leary in 1855. He had two sons, Moses and John from that marriage.

I had found out all of that early on in my research. I am now concentrating on tracing John Jordon back into Ireland as far as I can go.

Since John was a tanner and a weaver, I consider my finding of a carding mill on a John Jordan’s property in Gortroche, Castletownroche, County Cork, Ireland to be significant. I found this in land records on Findmypast.

However, I have not found a baptismal record or a marriage record for a John Jordan in Gortroche. I found a Patrick Jordan born in 1840 but the father is Thomas.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has any information about any of the Jordans in Gortroche or any other area in County Cork.

Thank you.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Jordon or Jordan and other variants
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 22 03:18 BST (UK) »

There are too many variables/might/could etc to work with here.

"The three of them emigrated to Canada between about 1848 and 1851."

Why is 1848 significant?    Why is 1851 significant?

Do you see them in a census, 1851, Canada?

Can you describe the Census details so that people here can find the Census entry.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 22 06:15 BST (UK) »
Is this your family?

Ancestry Canada Census 1851  Blenheim Prince Edward County Canada West (Ontario)
GEORDEN John            weaver   b. Ireland     Ch of Rome     age next birthday   44  (line15)
GEORDEN Catherine     wife       b. Ireland     Ch of Rome     age next birthday   47  (line16)
GEORDEN Patrick                      b. Ireland     Ch of Rome     age next birthday   10  (line17)

Continued on next page......and my transcription of the location....
town of Hallowell comprising all that part of half mile of the road leading from the township line of lot number 10 to the village ...township lying north Wellington.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 22 06:44 BST (UK) »

If you are researching the origins of these three people, their lives in Canadae 1851+ might hold a clue.

For the three people named in my Reply #2, what happened next....after the 1851 Census?

Where do you see them 1851+.......?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 22 08:30 BST (UK) »
1881 Census it appears John has remarried to a Mary, with sons Moses 23 and John 19
His occp Tanner and Weaver

John Jnrs Death Cert 1910 has his Mother as Mary O'Leary

His 1882 Death Reg is on F/S born c 1803

Info on F/S but unable to see other Census there but someone with Anc world sub may be able too :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline janyjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
I have added to my original post. I hope you will take a look at it.

John, Catherine and Patrick lived in Hallowell together until Catherine’s death in 1853, as attested by a parish record obtained from St. Gregory’s Church in Picton. I have found no further trace of Patrick after Catherine’s death.

John married Mary O’Leary in 1855 and they lived in Hallowell, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada.  They had two sons, Moses, born in 1859, and John, born in 1862 or 1863. John Sr. died in 1882 and Mary died in 1904. Both died in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada.

I would certainly like to know what happened to Patrick. However, my main focus is now on finding John and his ancestors in Ireland.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for the replies I have received so far.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 22 09:08 BST (UK) »
"John, Catherine and Patrick lived in Hallowell together until Catherine’s death in 1853, as attested by a parish record obtained from St. Gregory’s Church in Picton."

Can you expand on this please. Parish record for what?...death of Catherine?

Can you give all the wording on the record please.

What documents do you have for BDM events in the lives of the people you are researching?

Ancestry Census Canada 1861   
Enumeration District No  5 Township of Hallowell  Prince Edward, Canada West
JORDAN John        age last birthday:  45y  religion: RC 
occupation: weaver   birthplace: Ireland                                      (line 49, page 69)

JORDAN Mary        age last birthday:  35y  religion: RC 
birthplace: Ireland                                                                     (line 50, page 69)

Members of Family:  1 male   1 female
Persons over 20 who cannot read and write:

(Nothing indicated for the r/w category.)

JORDAN Moses      age last birthday:   2y   religion: RC    birthplace:  Up  C   (line 1, page 75)

Moses JODAN, age 2 years, is not with his parents.  Who is Moses with.......might be extended family.

What do you know about the family that Moses is with, 1861?

Mary O'LEARY is nearly 30 years old when she marries?.

Rather older for first marriage in those days?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 October 22 09:34 BST (UK) »
“Since John was a tanner and a weaver, I consider my finding of a carding mill on a John Jordan’s property in Gortroche, Castletownroche, County Cork, Ireland to be significant. I found this in land records on Findmypast”

Do you have records which indicate that he was born in Cork - especially Castletownroche area?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janyjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 October 22 16:27 BST (UK) »
I simply have a date for Catharine’s death, 1853. Similarly, I have a date for John and Mary’s marriage, 1855. The church would not release the records. I have a handwritten transcription of Mary’s death date and interment, 1904.

I do not know whether Mary was married previously. She would have been about 34 when she married John, since she apparently died in 1904 at

Mary and John’s neighbour was a Francis O’Leary. Mary could have been a sister of Francis. Daniel was 49 in the 1861 Census.

I do have a record for John’s death. It is available in the records on Family Search, Ancestry and MyHeritage. He died in South Marysburgh, Prince Edward County, Ontario.

The local Family History Centre has suggested to me that Moses was with his own family in 1861 and that the census pages may have stuck together and there may have been nothing on the pages in between. Moses was with his own family in the 1871 and 1881 Census.

John and Mary were illiterate. They signed a mortgage document with an X.

I do not think I can find out anything more about the family in Canada, although I would certainly like to find out what happened to Patrick.

I have not located any birth or marriage records for John and Catherine in Castletownroche. There is a John Jurdan born in Mitchelstown in 1797.

I do not know for certain that John was born in Cork, although my grandfather said so.

Thank you for your help.