Author Topic: George Raeburn - immortal?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
George Raeburn - immortal?
« on: Friday 14 October 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
George Raeburn married Margaret Gray in Deskford in 1812. They had at least six children, of whom most are not in the surviving baptism records.

In all the available censuses the family are at Broomhill in Forgue.

In 1841 George's age is 50, implying a birth in 1786/1791
In 1851 his age is 67, implying a birth in 1783/1784
In 1861 his age is 83, implying a birth in 1777/1778.
In 1871 Margaret is listed as a widow.

I have checked all deaths of a Ge* R*burn aged over 60 between 1861 and 1871, and all deaths of any George aged 60 or over in Forgue 1861-1871, and all deaths of Ge* R* in Aberdeenshire and Banffshire 1861-1871, and failed so far to find his death. I did check FreeBMD but as I expected there's no record of his death in England or Wales, and there's no record in Ireland either. Nor is there anything on DeceasedOnline.

Any suggestions?

PS please don't take up your time looking up the rest of the family. I have all but one of their death certificates and almost all of them in almost every census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Raeburn - immortal?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 22 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian. Have you looked at the George Raeburn that died in Banff, 1871, age 74?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: George Raeburn - immortal?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 22 18:29 BST (UK) »
I have looked at both the George Raeburns who died in Banff in 1871. Both have or had wives other than Margaret Gray.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.