Author Topic: Griffies Williams  (Read 2755 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffies Williams
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 April 23 21:43 BST (UK) »
Here's the newspaper announcement for the death of Mary Anne Caroline Catherine Vaughan, nee Griffies Williams. To me it seems unlikely that she would be mentioned in Watkin Lewis Griffies Williams' Will under her maiden name. What do you think ? https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3763531/3763536/53/Vaughan
The Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser
1st May 1908
DEATH.
VAUGHAN.
On April 8th. at Strand House, Laugharne, Mary Anne Caroline Catherine Vaughan, widow of the late Henry Frederick Vaughan, aged 94.

Henry Frederick Vaughan died in 1898

Given that Watkin's will was dated 1876, I agree.

Keith

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffies Williams
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 April 23 21:46 BST (UK) »
My research project is on Llandyfeisant graveyard on the Dynevor Estate in Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales.  Watkin Lewis Griffies-Williams is the brother of Rev. D.H.T. Griffies Williams who is buried in Llandyfeisant graveyard.  I am currently looking into the family and came across the probate for Watkin Lewis G.W. Do you know who this Mary Williams is ?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPJ3-WRNR
Name   Watkin Lewis Griffles Williams
Death Date   23 May 1877
Beneficiary's Name   Mary Williams
Event Type   

Death
Event Date   25 Jun 1877
Event Place   England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original)   Principal Registry

That would be a great research project. As far as Mary Williams is concerned, Watkin did have a sister, Mary Anne Caroline Catherine Griffies Williams baptized 12 Apr 1813, Myddfai, Carmarthenshire, Wales. By the time of Watkin's death, Mary was married to Henry Frederick Vaughan (they married in 1836) so it depends on when he wrote his will or if Watkin still referred to her as Mary Williams.

It might be a long shot but Caroline who died in 1907 had the middle names Mary Ann

Thanks for the note. Yes she did, so she could have been known as Mary. Also she is a daughter of David, so that makes it possible. And, she never married, so in 1876 she would still have the surname Williams.
Keith