Author Topic: Kennedy Gordon of Northampton married 1775  (Read 1422 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Kennedy Gordon of Northampton married 1775
« on: Saturday 15 October 22 09:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Kennedy GORDON's, past.

I have Northampton, Northamptonshire, England, Kennedy GORDON of the Parish of St Sepulchre, marrying Ann DICKENS at Northampton in 1775 (Gaudern when their four Daughters were baptised 1777, 1779, 1781 and 1783), in my 2 X Gt Grandmother Cecila HOOD's ancestry (nee WESTLEY). Cecilia WESTLEY born 1849 Brentford (baptised and abode New Brentford 27th January 1850) Middlesex, daughter of William Joseph WESTLEY, National School Master and Martha formerly Gibson (Daughter of Christopher Gibson, Innkeeper, but also a Musician).

Fortunately, the brother of Cecilia WESTLEY baptised 1850 New Brentford, Middlesex (my 2 X Gt Grandmother), was named Kennedy Gordon WESTLEY born 1839 and baptised 15th September 1839 at Old, in Northamptonshire (Abode Old) Son of William Joseph and Martha WESTLEY, School Master.

By Licence, 19th Oct'r 1838, St Giles, Northampton
William Joseph WESTLEY, full age, Bachelor, School Master, Old in the County, Father, William WESTLEY, Schoolmaster.
Martha GIBSON, full age, Spinster,     -      ,Upper Mount, Father, Christopher GIBSON, Inn Keeper.
In the presence of William STAUTON ; Jane [   ?   ]

12th November 1805, by Licence, William WESTLEY married Sarah GORDON
Present: Jane GORDON, John LAUGHTON

Added: 1851 Census,
1851, Wellington Street, St Giles, Northampton
William Westley, Head, Wid'r, 66, School Master, born Northampton, St Giles
Frances Westley, Dau'r, U, 39, House Keeper, born Stafford'sh Ealeshall [Eccleshall?]
Henry Turner, Visitor, Mar, 47, Cabinet Maker, born Cambridge

Added: Burials Parish of St Giles Northampton in the Year 1849
Sarah Westley, Abode Wellington Street, Dec'r 21, 69 Years.
Newspaper says wife of Mr Westley, Wellington Street.
Giving her a Birth of about 1780 and ties in with her Baptism as Sarah Gordon.

Witness at the above 1805 Marriage - Jane GORDON may have been Sarah's sister, but the two witnesses present in 1805, John LAUGHTON of Paulerspury and Jane GORDON married each other 26th May 1808 at which Margaret Gordon was present with Edmund Cleaner, (Margaret Gordon may have been another sister).
 ----------
Back to Kennedy GORDON, he has signed in his own hand Kennedy GORDON at his 1775 Marriage to Ann Dickens (Present are Joseph Cave; Mary Allen, who both signed). GORDON was used later in the 9th November 1805 newspaper Notice (regarding collection of monies outstanding etc) and Kenedy GORDON, Mason, in the 1805 Probate Register.

However the church for the Baptisms of the four daughters of Kennedy and Ann have took it on themselves and entered Gaudern and two of the four baptisms only returned when searching under their father's name.

The St Sepulchre, Northampton, baptism Register appears to have been rewritten and they have possibly managed to copy Kennedy's wife Ann as Jane for the last 3 daughter baptisms. I could find no further (2nd) marriage for Kennedy GORDON or the alias spelling and his widow was buried as Ann GORDON, 10 December 1812. Northampton Mercury 5th December 1812 "Last night, in this town, Mrs Gaudern, widow of the late Mr. K. Gaudern, mason."

I still have Kennedy GORDON's burial still to search for in the various Registers pages on Anc., despite having a newspaper 7th September 1805 death notice for Kennedy GAUDERN, Stone-mason.

The Northampton registers of which there are a number for each of the 4 or more Northampton churches, plus Nonconformists Registers.

Mark

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy Gordon of Northampton married 1775
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 October 22 10:17 BST (UK) »
FreeReg has this burial 1 Sept 1805, Kennedy GORDON at  St St Sepulchre, Northampton.
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818bc94e93790ec75912124

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 22 10:22 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this baptism - Kennedy GAWTHERN bap 06 Jan 1744/5 at St John the Baptist, Piddington, parents Richard and Mary?
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58188ee9e93790eca35a859b

Modified to add:
Looks like GAWTHORN on the image (on Ancestry)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 October 22 11:01 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this baptism - Kennedy GAWTHERN bap 06 Jan 1744/5 at St John the Baptist, Piddington, parents Richard and Mary?
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58188ee9e93790eca35a859b

Thank you, no I hadn't.

I'm jumping the gun a bit, but have made a request to the Record Office for images of the Will of Kenedy Gordon (Proved 1805) and several Marriage Allegations and Bonds, hoping the ages of Kennedy and Ann might be stated.

A search of "Kennedy Gaudern" Northampton ... also has a brief entry in the 1805 Gentleman's Magazine ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=McxKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA972&lpg=PA972&dq=%22Kennedy+Gaudern%22+Northampton&source=bl&ots=HJtv674wZU&sig=ACfU3U2wGt11KbTyhdZqfBmU6D759wrMlQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGgpK39uH6AhWYj4kEHSDWB0cQ6AF6BAgLEAI#v=onepage&q=%22Kennedy%20Gaudern%22%20Northampton&f=false

The same search also mentioned Militia lists, but not checked any lists yet.
 ----------
Another search ... Kennedy Gaudern Northampton (without commas)
1st April 1768 Poll Book
A State of the Poll for Members of Parliament to represent the Town and Borough of Northampton
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eCZkAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=Kennedy+Gaudern+Northampton+Poll&source=bl&ots=qtT8eKoTJX&sig=ACfU3U3soXPfysR5sXXnxZydcTLdT95eXA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG17OA--H6AhX7EFkFHVz6BEwQ6AF6BAgiEAI#v=onepage&q=Kennedy%20Gaudern%20Northampton%20Poll&f=false

So Kennedy Gaudern was a property owner in 1768 if he was entitled to vote back then.

I have forgot to search the Apprenticeship Duty Register, but if trained by family they don't always show up. Some probably used to get around the payment of Duty?

Mark

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 October 22 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello
He was also in the Northants Militia List
Kennedy Gordon  mason of Spelhoe 1771 Northants Militia lists
Also there for 1771 is a Richard Gordon mason of Spelhoe.(Northampton North Ward)
Possible burial for Richard Gordon 15 Dec 1799 at St Selpulcre
I guessing Richard was married to Elizabeth buried 26.1.1793 and he was Kennedy's brother ,with children Richard 23.12.1779,Richard 17.4.1781 and Joeph 6.4.1783 baptised at Walgrave.

Kennedy's wife Ann may be the one buried 10.12.1812 or 11.12.1799 at St Selpulcre.

There is an Edward Gordon baptised at the church 6.6.1800 s of Thomas and Jane Gordon alias Gawthorne. Parents married as Thomas Gauden 27.8.1799 and Jane Johnson .

As for Richard and Mary of Piddington.VERY Well done Maddy!
Other children
Jane 26.2.1726 -Richard only
Mary 26.4.1730
Sarah 24.9.1732
Richard 14.12.1735
Stephen 30.9.1739

Ciderdrinker

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 October 22 23:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker,

I have found the Kennedy Gorden and Richard Gorden in the transcribed Northamptonshire Militia List of 1771 that you mentioned.

Kennedy Gorden, Mason,
Hundred Spelhoe
Place Northampton (North Ward)

Richard Gorden, Mason,
Hundred Spelhoe
Place Northampton (North Ward)
 ----------
1768 Northampton Poll Book
Kennedy Gordon, North End, Mason

North End, Northampton, was a road according to maps here:-
https://edintone.com/north-end/
 ----------
A History of the Church of St Sepulchre, Northampton
On June 28th, 1793, " Mr. Kennedy Gordon agreed to whitewash the Church within and without, that is where it was before whitewashed, and to plaister such ...
 ----------
I'll have another look and dig about tomorrow.

Mark

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 22 02:12 BST (UK) »

Kennedy's wife Ann may be the one buried 10.12.1812 or 11.12.1799 at St Selpulcre.

"Died ... Last night, in this town, Mrs. Gaudern, widow of the late Mr. K. Gaudern, mason"
Saturday,  Dec. 5, 1812
Publication: Northampton Mercury

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 22 02:17 BST (UK) »
A few advertisements in newspapers for Kennedy GORDON/GAUDERN which you may have seen. As the "lost streets" blog says North End seems to be an extension of Sheep St. This ad from 1796 has Kennedy's address as Sheep St.

"Wanted immediately, a Number of BRICK-MAKERS and MASONS - Enquire of Kennedy Gordon, Sheep-Street Northampton, by whom constant Employ and good Wages will be given."
Saturday,  June 4, 1796
Publication: Northampton Mercury

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 October 22 08:53 BST (UK) »

I could find no further (2nd) marriage for Kennedy GORDON or the alias spelling and his widow was buried as Ann GORDON, 10 December 1812. Northampton Mercury 5th December 1812 "Last night, in this town, Mrs Gaudern, widow of the late Mr. K. Gaudern, mason."

Thank you Maddy.

I have also been through some more newspapers last evening and post a summary of some found.

In 1779 regarding wanting a Mason ... applying to Kennedy Gordon, in Newland, Northampton.

Yes, 1786 Kennedy Gordon had a house in Sheep Street, Northampton.

1788 K. Gordon, Northampton Brick Kilns ... near the New Common ... formerly in the possession of Mr R. Billson, deceased where he intends carrying on the Brick-Making Business ... reference to some sales from his Sheep Street adddress.

September 1789 To be Sold ... Old-accustomed Brick, Tile and Lime Kilns, in Northampton Field, now in full business ... in the occupation of Kennedy Gordon, with or without five acres of inclosed Sweard-Ground adjoining. ...

July 1794, To be Sold by Auction. ... situate in Sheep Street, Northampton All Household-Furniture, and other Effects, of Kennedy Gordon, ...

1796 Wanted a number of Brick-Makers and Masons. Enquire of Kennedy Gordon, Sheep Street, Northampton.

1798 Kennedy Gordon listed as one of many Subscribers, with a donation of 10 shillings and six pence, for the defence of the country.

1805 Death notice Kennedy Gaudern

Next November 1805 (in my initial post).

April 1815 To be Sold by Auction By Mr. Fores, ... at the Peacock Inn, Northampton, ... All that Freehold Stone-built Messuage or Tenement, situate on the West-Side of Sheep Street, in the said Town, with very excellent arched Cellers (formerly occupied by a Wine-Merchant), a Bakehouse, Out-offices, and spacious Piece of Ground lying behind the same, late in the occupation of Mr. Kennedy Gordon.

Mark