Author Topic: Sarah Fielden 1824-1856  (Read 667 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Fielden 1824-1856
« on: Sunday 16 October 22 21:45 BST (UK) »
I recently found on Ancestry Thru Lines that a lot of DNA matches have been assigned to ancestors, without having been highlighted in green as they used to, and a lot of the assignations look unreliable.

One of them though is interesting as it is a line that I haven't had much luck with linking my DNA matches.  They are linking my DNA match's ancestor Sarah Fielden 1824-1856 to Most Recent Common Ancestor parents John Fielden born Todmorden 1791, died 1850 and Nelly Sutcliffe born 1790 Todmorden, died 1840 Walsden.  Sarah would be the sister of my ancestor Samuel Fielden born 1813 Todmorden/Walsden, died 1847 Todmorden/Walsden.

Sarah Fielden's spouse probably has surname Crabtree, as her daughter is shown by ThruLines to be Mary Crabtree born 1852.  But her daughter is shown as Sarah Jane Crabtree 1876-1939, who married John Abraham Farrow.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Fielden 1824-1856
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 22 22:40 BST (UK) »
Sarah would be the sister of my ancestor Samuel Fielden born 1813 Todmorden/Walsden, died 1847 Todmorden/Walsden.

Have you established whether Samuel & Sarah had the same father?

Sarah Fielden's spouse probably has surname Crabtree, as her daughter is shown by ThruLines to be Mary Crabtree born 1852.

You say your Sarah died 1856 so you must know what surname she had when she died - Fielden or Crabtree??

No 1856 death for a Sarah Crabtree in the age range but there is a Sarah Fielden death in 1856 aged 35 so b 1821

No Mary Crabtree birth in 1852 with mmn Fielden
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 22 22:55 BST (UK) »
3 x John Fielden deaths in Todmorden in 1850 - 15/18/52.  Aged 52 equates to 1798 birthyear - not 1791

Sarah Ann Crabtree b 1876 mmn was Priestley

No Nelly Fielden death in 1840 - possibly Ellen aged 49

All info is available via freebmd or GRO online

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 October 22 23:45 BST (UK) »
All the information is from Ancestry's Thru Lines, other than the Most Recent Common Ancestors, and my ancestor Samuel Fielden.

At least once along the line it looks as if someone has put a woman's married name instead of her maiden name on their Ancestry tree, and that is what Thru Lines is picking up.

I will check things, and I was hoping this would show the connection with my DNA match to Samuel Fielden, who I have thoroughly checked with death certificates and all the documentation I can find.  This is the most difficult line on my tree, and I was hoping this information was at least part correct.

It wouldn't be the only new Thru Lines connection that looks wrong.  Some others look definitely wrong, on lines that I have thoroughly researched and know there was no such sibling as Thru Lines is claiming.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 October 22 00:23 BST (UK) »
Nothing you have found on Thru Lines ties in with BMD records - why am I not surprised  ::)  DNA is wonderful but it can cause a heck of a lot of problems when it's linked to wrong info.

I couldn't find a baptism on FS for Samuel & as he died before 1851 I wasn't sure which 1841 entry was him. 

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 October 22 11:18 BST (UK) »
Nothing you have found on Thru Lines ties in with BMD records - why am I not surprised  ::)  DNA is wonderful but it can cause a heck of a lot of problems when it's linked to wrong info.

I couldn't find a baptism on FS for Samuel & as he died before 1851 I wasn't sure which 1841 entry was him.

I have the 4th April 1847 death certificate from the GRO for Samuel Fielden. Engine Tenter age 34.  Pthisis 11 weeks.  Informant:  George Bentley present at the death, Gauxholme, Walsden.

He is buried in Christ Church Churchyard, Todmorden, and his memorial is on FindaGrave.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135256387/samuel-fielden?

Baptised 17th April 1813.  Parents John and Nelly.  Waterstalls, Walsden, Todmorden.  I have several baptism sources saved but can't look at them without a current Ancestry subscription.

Thru Lines used to be mostly accurate, with the very occasional slightly doubtful connection, but very recently there have been about ten connections on my Thru Lines which weren't even highlighted in green as they used to be, and none of these look reliable, some are absolutely definitely wrong.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
have you tried lan-opc for those baptisms. It is a free site and Samuels baptism is on there

Baptism: 17 Apr 1813 St Mary, Todmorden, Lancashire, England
Samuel Fielden - Son of John Fielden & Nelly
    Abode: Watterstall

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 00:29 GMT (UK) »
have you tried lan-opc for those baptisms. It is a free site and Samuels baptism is on there

Baptism: 17 Apr 1813 St Mary, Todmorden, Lancashire, England
Samuel Fielden - Son of John Fielden & Nelly
    Abode: Watterstall

Thanks.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 01:31 GMT (UK) »
They are linking my DNA match's ancestor Sarah Fielden 1824-1856 to Most Recent Common Ancestor parents John Fielden born Todmorden 1791, died 1850 and Nelly Sutcliffe born 1790 Todmorden, died 1840 Walsden. 

What I can see on the family trees is that Sarah FIELDEN married George CRABTREE and her parents were Abraham FIELDEN and Grace SUTCLIFFE.  When she married in 1853 she said she was aged 22 and her father was Abraham, a Grocer.

This looks like the family without mother in 1841.

Piece:    552
Book:    1
Folio:    6
Page number:    4

Noting that there is also an Abraham and Grace in Todmorden in 1841, no children.

Debra  :)