Author Topic: Thomas Skillicorn b 1892  (Read 69852 times)

Offline dbray220

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Skillicorn b 1892
« on: Monday 17 October 22 19:37 BST (UK) »
Good evening, I am looking for any information about Thomas Skillicorn b 1892 Cleator, Cumberland. I know he married Isabell Fisher in 1923 (Whitehaven, Cumberland).
I am unable to find any record of his birth, i have found a Thomas Skillicorn in the 1901 (inmate at Whitehaven Workhouse, no parents or siblings on the list) and 1911 census (farm labourer at Jericho Farm Whitehaven). I dont know if this is the correct Thomas Skillicorn due to not been able to find any birth record.
I am currently waiting for the marriage cert for Thomas and Isabell.
Any help in the meantime would be gratefully received

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Skillicorn b 1892
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 22 22:19 BST (UK) »
if the Cleator place of birth s correct, the most obvious connection is this family in 1891

Jane Skillicorn    26    Head
Albert H Skillicorn   7    Son
Florence Skillicorn   6    Daughter
James Skillicorn   4    Son
William Skillicorn   2    Son

Mother appears to be born Jane Hodgson, married to Joseph Skillicorn in 1883

In 1901 Florence and William are with Granny Hodgson and James with an aunt and uncle

There may be a sad tale. A Jane Skillicorn b c1865 is convicted of wilful murder of an infant  boy child in 1897 and sent to Broadmoor [added - offence at St Bees, convicted at Carlisle]. A newspaper report says her husband went to South Africa seven years ago. She recently visited a cousin in Liverpool and returned with a small child. When apprehended she said she hoped the man who abused her also suffered. However, if it is the same Jane, she's back in Cleator with Florence and Albert in 1911

There's a good match for Joseph in Liverpool in 1891 with another wife and family apologies - t hink he's a red herring]

No evidence Thomas is connected, but worth checking them out - with the name, location and clear family breakup before 1901 it looks interesting. Maybe with all the upheaval he was never registered

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thomas Mitchell Skillicorn birth registration in Halifax in 1894 has mother as Hodgson.

There is a death in 1968 Cockermouth for Thomas M. Skillicorn. Is this your Thomas?

and 1911 census (farm labourer at Jericho Farm Whitehaven).
Head of house and farmer is a Matthew Hodgson - might be a connection to Jane Skillcorn, nee Hodgson from Mabel's post.

The 1911 and 1901 census records you mention give his birth around 1894, but I see the 1939 register gives 1892.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline dbray220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 22 21:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your information. I have now received the marriage certificate and Thomas's father is named as William Skillicorn occupation: Gardener. I'm still at a brick wall

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 October 22 01:51 BST (UK) »
A possibility - there is a William SKILLICORN (general gardener, domestic, 36) and his wife Mary at Hose Side, Wallasey in 1881.
RG11/3589/6 pg 6

Will do a bit more looking.  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 October 22 01:57 BST (UK) »
No, not him, as in the 1911 census (now widowed) he says he has no children.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 October 22 02:24 BST (UK) »
What age does it have for Thomas on the marriage certificate, and who are the witnesses? Is there any other information on the certificate that may be useful?  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 October 22 03:52 BST (UK) »
If, as looks likely, the Thomas M. Skillicorn bc.1894, d.1968 Cockermouth is your man (wife Isabel died there too) it's a shame GRO's own death index not yet available for 1968 as we'd know what the 'M' stood for then.

If it is 'Mitchell' then he could well be the one born in Halifax.   If aforementioned Jane was indeed his mother and her husband Joseph had gone to South Africa ca.1890 then he certainly wasn't this Thomas' father - Thomas could have invented a father when he married, or, indeed his father could have been a William, a gardener, but not a Skillicorn (perhaps a William Mitchell?).  No other Skillicorn/Hodgson marriage around so one wonders what is actually on the birth certificate as index doesn't indicate it was an illegitimate birth so wonder what the mother stated when she registered the birth.

We can hypothesize for ever but really need to know what the 'M' in his name stood for on his death entry.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 October 22 05:42 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with Annette7.
 My question posed in reply #2 regarding the death, remains un-answered.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)