Author Topic: Thomas Skillicorn b 1892  (Read 69851 times)

Offline dbray220

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Skillicorn b 1892
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help so far.
On the marriage cert the witness's are Harold Fisher and Catherine Fisher who are Isabell's brother and sister.
I have found Thomas on the 1921 census living at the same place as his marriage cert (Bransty Farm, Whitehaven) also says he was 26 years 11 months old and born in Distington, Cumberland

Offline dbray220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Mitchell Skillicorn birth registration in Halifax in 1894 has mother as Hodgson.

There is a death in 1968 Cockermouth for Thomas M. Skillicorn. Is this your Thomas?

I am awaiting a reply from a friends family in Cumbria to see if this is the correct year of death

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, I am looking for any information about Thomas Skillicorn b 1892 Cleator, Cumberland. I know he married Isabell Fisher in 1923 (Whitehaven, Cumberland).
I am unable to find any record of his birth, i have found a Thomas Skillicorn in the 1901 (inmate at Whitehaven Workhouse, no parents or siblings on the list) and 1911 census (farm labourer at Jericho Farm Whitehaven). I dont know if this is the correct Thomas Skillicorn due to not been able to find any birth record.
I am currently waiting for the marriage cert for Thomas and Isabell.
Any help in the meantime would be gratefully received

Hello

Any earlier link in your ancestry to the Isle of Man?

We use to stay with a Mrs Skillicorn on the Isle of Man.

I was led to believe her surname Skillicorn was a good old Manx / Isle of Man name who have their own Registry (separate from England and Wales).

Their Government and Central Registry was at Douglas, Isle of Man.

https://www.gov.im/centralregistry

The Isle of Man Archives was at Douglas and the Isle of Man Public Record Office, when I visited the IoM PRO was outside of Douglas.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/enterprise/central-registry/public-record-office/

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Possibly one to consider?

Thomas Skillcorn amended to Skillicorn, born 7th July 1892, with:-
Isabel [otherwise] "o/w Isabella" ditto , born 21st September 1900.
Florence ditto , born 1923 later Burns.
Andrea ditto , born 1926 later Gainford.
George C. ditto born 1937.
 ----------
Regarding a Thomas H. Skillicorn.
In 1918 in the Wigton Registration District there is a:-
Thomas H. Skillicorn marrying surname Eael.
The corresponding Index entry gives her name as Elizabeth B. EARL.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 October 22 17:57 GMT (UK) »
The Maryport Advertiser, 29th May 1897,
under "Examination in Religious Knowledge" lists an Albert Skillicorn, Cleator Moor, Montreal.
There are quite a number listed from Cleator Moor, Montreal.

Montreal was the name of the Mine there at Cleator Moor.

Further to Mabel's comment, this family in 1891 at Cleator Village, Cleator Moor, of Jane Skillicorn, Head, M, 26, born Cleator, lived at 41 Trumpet Road and the church there was St Johns.

Robert Biggins, Head, M, 46, born Lancs, Dalton.
Ann Biggins, Wife, M, 45, born Cleator.
Agnes M. Biggins, Daur, 14, born Cleator.
James K Skillicorn, Nephew, 13, born Cleator.

Florence and William Skillicorn are the G. Granchildren of Mary Hodgson.

The address of the 1901 Workhouse / Hospital where Thomas Skillicorn born Cleator, was Whitehaven Union Workhouse, Low Road, Whitehaven. Perhaps the Register survives and might give parentage, or perhaps Thomas was unwell?

James Kendal Skillicorn. Birth 1887 Death 1st Oct 1918 Pte Border Regiment Service #241250. Personal Details. GRO Ref. Place of Birth, Cleator Moor.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 22 18:12 GMT (UK) »
James Kendal Skillicorn. Birth 1887 Death 1st Oct 1918 Pte Border Regiment Service #241250. Personal Details. GRO Ref. Place of Birth, Cleator Moor.

James Kendal Jubilee Skillicorn born 1887, Mother's Maiden Name: Hodgson

CWGC
James Kendal Skillicorn, No. 241250
Son of Jane Elizabeth Tyson (formerly Skillicorn), of Guard's Villa, Cleator Moor, Cumberland, and the late Joseph Skillicorn.

Jane Elizabeth Skillicorn, remarried in 1914, becoming Jane Elizabeth Tyson.

Mark

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 October 22 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I think the birth cert for Thomas Mitchell Skillicorn in Halifax would be worth getting to see who the mother was and what is claimed abut parentage.

Also of interest

J Skillicorn, a miner, aged 33 departs England for Capetown aboard the Dunottar Castle  on 10 Oct 1890.

There's then the death of gold miner Joseph Skillicorn in Germiston in 1908. He's listed as 56, but they don;t seem to know an awful lot about him

Certificate
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91L-CWW1-F?i=2042&cc=2998108&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AWDQ7-2YW2

Probate
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS4V-23P7-J?cc=2520237&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQPR4-HRHC

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 22 22:47 GMT (UK) »

James Kendal Jubilee Skillicorn born 1887, Mother's Maiden Name: Hodgson

CWGC
James Kendal Skillicorn, No. 241250
Son of Jane Elizabeth Tyson (formerly Skillicorn), of Guard's Villa, Cleator Moor, Cumberland, and the late Joseph Skillicorn.

Jane Elizabeth Skillicorn, remarried in 1914, becoming Jane Elizabeth Tyson.

Mark

Found this relating to the family at Cleator ...

1951 Probate
Jane Elizabeth Tyson of 15 Princes Street Wath Brow, Cleator Moor, Cumberland, Widow, died 28 February 1951, Probate Carlisle 7 May to Florence Ann Skillicorn Spinster.

Probate to possibly her daughter Florence Ann Skillicorn born 1885 dying 1975?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 October 22 05:45 GMT (UK) »

The address of the 1901 Workhouse / Hospital where Thomas Skillicorn born Cleator, was Whitehaven Union Workhouse, Low Road, Whitehaven.

Thanks for all your help so far.
On the marriage cert the witness's are Harold Fisher and Catherine Fisher who are Isabell's brother and sister.
I have found Thomas on the 1921 census living at the same place as his marriage cert (Bransty Farm, Whitehaven) also says he was 26 years 11 months old and born in Distington, Cumberland

Distington (1921) and Cleator (1901) both County of Cumberland, although 8 miles apart were in the Whitehaven 'Registration District'.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/whitehaven.html

1911 Census at Jericho Farm, Whitehaven.
Matthew Hodgson, Head, 58, born Holmrook.
Eleanor Hodgson, Sister, Housekeeper.
Thomas Skillicorn, 16 yrs born Cumberland Workington, Cumberland.

I wonder if Thomas Skillicorn in the Matthew Hodgson household was a coincidence? Then below in 1881, the same Matthew Hodgson has lived in a Tyson household.

Workington is 3.6 miles North of Distington. Workington was in the neighbouring Registration District of Cockermouth.
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/cockermouth.html

Added: regarding Matthew Hodgson born Holmrook:- Holmrook is between Drigg and Irton. Drigg was in the Registration District of Bootle (Cumberland).

1881 Census, 12 Mill Street, Whitehaven.
Elizabeth Tyson, Head, W, 54, Boarding House Keeper, born Whinfell, Westmoreland.
John Tyson, Step-son, Unm, 19, Clerk to Local Board, born Cumberland Whitehaven.
Thomas Henry Tyson, Step-son, Unm, 16, Commercial Clerk Own Trade.
Matthew Hodgson, Boarder, Unm, 26, Barman, born Cumberland, Holmrook.

Seems Matthew Hodgson of Whitehaven and also later of Jericho Farm, Whitehaven had lived in a Tyson household in 1881.

Also interesting in 1894 that back in Bootle (Cumberland) Reg'n District a Marriage (not seen Certificate) that a Matthew Hodgson is transcribed as marrying Isabella Tyson.

Mark