Author Topic: St Bridget's Avenue, Dublin City Center  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Kelger123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Bridget's Avenue, Dublin City Center
« on: Tuesday 18 October 22 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all,  I have a birth cert which tells me an ancestor of mine was born in St Bridget's Avenue, Dublin City Center, in 1885.  Does anyone have one of these maps with a historical over layer who can tell me where this lady was born?  All the other children were born at different city center addresses so it may be safe to say this child was no different.

Thanks
Gerry

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Bridget's Avenue, Dublin City Center
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 00:29 BST (UK) »
The only 1880s newspaper references I can see for that reference, place it in North Strand, there are also contemporary references to St. Brigid's Avenue, North Strand, so maybe this?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rvi/

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 06:32 BST (UK) »

I have a birth cert which tells me an ancestor of mine was born in St Bridget's Avenue, Dublin City Center, in 1885. 

OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer.
MapGenie 25 Inch - (1887-1913)
https://arcg.is/1Xy1Dm1

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 06:39 BST (UK) »

The only 1880s newspaper references I can see for that reference, place it in North Strand, there are also contemporary references to St. Brigid's Avenue, North Strand, so maybe this?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rvi/

Can't help but say that if you view that street in google streetview, those one storey houses look VERY old indeed.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 09:30 BST (UK) »
I live 2 streets away and our street was built in 1881. St. Brigid/Bridget's avenue was there before that, built maybe mid to late 1870s.

If you go to this site https://www.swilson.info/mapsdublincity.php and click on the 'Dublin City and environs 1880 - Thom's Almanac and Directory map and follow a straight line up from the 'I' of Liffey in River Liffey, you will see St. Bridget's Avenue in 1880.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Kelger123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 22 22:03 BST (UK) »
Excellent replies and now I can say with some certainty my family lived in the North Strand area at that time.  Thank you all for the input, I certainly have learned a lot and have found some very good resources for use in the future.

Gerry