Author Topic: Please help find parents of JAMES MILLER 1787 Barstobrick farm Tongland  (Read 1902 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Please help find parents of JAMES MILLER 1787 Barstobrick farm Tongland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 October 22 14:51 BST (UK) »
I also note

(a) that James M and Catherine McM gave the middle names of Carson to their daughter Jean/Jane; and

(b) Alexander Mitchell and Margaret Carson had a daughter baptised in Tongland in 1774.

Is that a coincidence?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 October 22 09:10 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas MITCHELL father of Catherine NICHOLSON nee MITCHELL who married my ggrandfather Holdsworth in NSW. A Mitchell book lists Thomas MITCHELL as son of James but not his baptism but has him travelling over here. I have seen passenger records to confirm. However can't see baptism records at SP for him etc. So frustrating.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 October 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas MITCHELL father of Catherine NICHOLSON nee MITCHELL who married my ggrandfather Holdsworth in NSW. A Mitchell book lists Thomas MITCHELL as son of James but not his baptism but has him travelling over here. I have seen passenger records to confirm. However can't see baptism records at SP for him etc. So frustrating.
Yes, isn't it? But unfortunately it's quite common for baptisms to be missing from the surviving records.

I take it that you have seen his death certificate and that it gives his mother's surname as McMeekin or some variant of that? What about the dc of his brother John who (if Wikitree is correct) travelled with him on the Earl Grey in 1841? Do NSW death certificates give the exact date of birth of the deceased?

I'm still very perplexed that unconfirmed sources give an exact date of birth for James M on 15 April 1787 which is not matched by a record in the Tongland parish register. This can only have come from a family bible which travelled to Australia with one of the family, and such a bible could also explain where the dates of birth for Thomas and John came from.

Have you contacted the profile managers of the trees on Geni and Wikitree to compare notes and ask about their sources? If not, it might be an idea to do so.
https://www.geni.com/people/James-Mitchell/6000000179632103840
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Mitchell-6920

You could also try to contact the owner of the Ancestry tree but as it shows a James Mitchell baptised in a different parish in a different year, it is unlikely to be right unless both Geni and Wikitree are wrong.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 07:55 BST (UK) »
Certificates are unavailable at moment for NSW? But it says Kate as mother which is short for Catherine. The assisted passenger list has Thomas and brothers coming on the Earl Grey being sponsored to come over here to work on a property as they were shepherds. They came from that Barstobrick farm. But finding baptism is very difficult....

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 08:04 BST (UK) »
From Mitchell book

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

According to Wikitree
Thomas and John emigrated on the 'Earl Grey' in 1841
Mary and her family emigrated on the 'Thetis' in 1848
Hugh and James and their families emigrated on the 'Commodore Perry' in 1856
Andrew and Elizabeth emigrated but no date or ship is mentioned
Jean and Alexander died in Scotland
Isabella is listed but no information is included whether or not she emigrated
Margaret is not listed at all.

In the 1841 census Mary is with her husband Richard Newby and five children in the parish of Twynholm, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Wikitree says that Hugh married Agnes Hamilton and had six children. Scotland's People records the marriage in St Quivox in 1839 and their family as James 1841, Agnes 1844, Jean 1845, Elizabeth Heron and Mary Watson 1847, and William, 1850. (Why did they not name a daughter Catherine after Hugh's mother?)

In 1841 there is a family in St Quivox, Ayr consisting of Hugh Mitchell, 25; Agnes, 25; Elizabeth, 10; Alexander, 5; James, 1 month. Elizabeth and Alexander look very much like the two youngest children attributed on Wikitree to James and Catherine. If Alexander was 5, that puts his birth in 1835 or 1836, so he cannot possibly be a full brother to Hugh, whose mother died in 1833. Therefore Wikitree is wrong about that. The census also suggests that Elizabeth was not born in 1832 as Wikitree suggests, but in 1830/1831.

In 1851 there are in Ayr Hugh Mitchell, 37; Agnes, wife, 36; James, 10; Agnes, 7; Jean, 5; Elizabeth H and Mary W, 3; and a visitor, Hugh Hamilton, who could be Agnes' brother.

James married Jane McGeorge in 1837, and they had Catherine 1838, James 1840, Jane 1843 and Janet 1845.

At Park, Tongland in 1841 are James Mitchell, 25; Jean, 25; Catherine, 2 and James, 1. In 1851 there are James Mitchell, 37; Jane, 36; James, 10; Jane, 8; and Andrew, 2. The passenger list of the 'Commodore Perry' lists James, 40; Jane, 40; James, 15; Jane, 13; Andrew, 7; Catherine, 4; and John, 2.

The gravestone in Tongland Kirkyard confirms that their first Catherine died in 1845 and Janet in 1848, as did another baby, Robert, who does not appear in any other records.

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 27 October 22 10:13 BST (UK) »
I'm unsure what to do to find James Mitchell parents. On Damily Search it has them but no source...

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 October 22 14:59 BST (UK) »
But Troqueer is close by. And Family search has him born there.

His baptism is on SP. I just realised Colin found it

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 October 22 15:32 BST (UK) »
Colin

This looks even more likely now that you put a few pages back

*On SP.
JAMES   SAMUEL MITCHEL/ELIZABETH KERR    Baptism    08/05/1786   Troqueer

Seems unlikely to me, it will need checking out.

Colin*

Jenny