Author Topic: Please help find parents of JAMES MILLER 1787 Barstobrick farm Tongland  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Please help find parents of JAMES MILLER 1787 Barstobrick farm Tongland
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 October 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
I don't think you should latch on to the one born in 1786 in Troqueer without some definite evidence to support it.

There are many baptism that are simply missing from the surviving records. It is quite likely that your James Mitchell is one of the missing ones, and if he is you may never find out who his parents were.

FamilySearch just has an index to the originals that are on Scotland's People. It's very useful indeed as a finding aid, but it's not a different source. It is the same information. Just because the son of Samuel M and Elizabeth Kerr is the only one in roughly the right time and county does not necessarily mean that he is the right one.

Actually, the absence of the name Samuel among the descendants of James Mitchell and Catherine McMeekin is fairly strong evidence against the James Mitchell born in Troqueer in 1786 being the one who other trees say was born in Tongland in 1787.

You need to ask the owners of the online trees where their information came from.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 October 22 12:45 BST (UK) »
It seems I can find siblings but not them on SP grr. Like the wife of Thomas MITCHELL - Eliza Jane MCKENZIE B aboit 1800 in Ross and Cromarty to Alexander and Anabella MCKENZIE... They came as a family to NSW. I have their travel. I can even find Farquhar baptism on SP but not Eliza Jane. Wt....

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 October 22 17:54 BST (UK) »
Grrr indeed. Unfortunately if the record has not survived it's not there to be consulted.

It could be the Troqueer one, or it could be one of the other 48 James Mitchel(l)s baptised in Scotland between 1786 and 1788, or it could be an older or a younger one, or one whose baptism record has not survived.

I've been cudgelling my brain to think of anywhere else you could try, so far without success. Maybe someone else will have a brainwave.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.