Author Topic: Ward Northamptonshire Pre 1837 Advice  (Read 2547 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Ward Pre 1837 advice sought
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 October 22 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi again. A private source of mine although you can always ask on the web link as I no long have contact with them, my choice. I have experience with a few Northamptonshire Cemetery Offices. If you wish for anymore that you are not able to get the information for I can always have a look.

Best of luck.

https://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/406/our-town/16/a-guide-to-cemeteries

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 October 22 22:39 BST (UK) »
Joseph WARD, married Ann GIBBS 1849, is your direct ancestor?

Researching the origins of your Joseph WARD, you are considering him to be 16 year old in this family, Census 1841,  here at reply #3?

1841 - Kingsthorpe
                         Joseph Ward   45
                         Ann Ward   40
                         Joseph Ward   16
                         Emma Ward   8
                         Susannah Ward   6

Ancestry Warwickshire Church of England marriages 1754-1910
Parish Church Rugby 16 May 1849
WARD Joseph     full age   bachelor     bricklayer         residence Rugby
Father: Joseph WARD       carpenter

GIBBS Ann         minor     spinster 
Father:  *  GIBBS    labourer
Witnesses:   *  BARNETT/BARRETT (?)   Elizabeth GIBBS      all parties sign   

and Susanna WARD, 6 years old at the 1841 Census is this marriage?

Ancestry Northamptonshire Church of England marriages 1754-1912

Parish Church Kingsthorpe  26 Jan 1860
JEFFS Thomas  20y  bachelor    shoe-maker   residence Kingsthorpe
Father: Joseph JEFFS   labourer

WARD Susanna  25y   spinster                      residence Kingsthorpe   (X)
Father: Joseph WARD    carpenter
Witnesses: John WHITSEY    Mary BILLING (X)           

Joseph WARD, at marriage 1849, signs the register.

Susanna WARD, at marriage 1860, does not sign.

If Joseph WARD is literate, you might expect to see his younger siblings to also be literate?

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ward Northamptonshire Pre 1837 Advice
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 October 22 13:04 BST (UK) »
There is also a topic on the same question here.

topics merged

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline djw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 October 22 13:10 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Ann ward had three children that I am aware of Joseph Ward born approx 1823, Emma Ward born approx 1832 and Susannah Ward born approx 1834 and baptised on 22/2/1835 (I have only been able to find a batism for the youngest child. Emma I have very little on other than an entry in the 1841 census. Susannah married in  1860 to a Thomas Jeffs and they have children Joseph, Alfred, William and Ernest.

My line of descent is through Joseph, and he married Ann Gibbs on 10/4/1849 in Rugby and they went on to have children, James 1849, Ann 1852, Emma in 1856, Rose Ellen in 1858, Joe in 1859, Alfred 1863, Minnie in 1865, and Kate in 1866. I think it likely that there was also a Betsy born in 1854 but died in 1855 but I am yet to confirm this.

Offline djw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 October 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Ann ward had three children that I am aware of Joseph Ward born approx 1823, Emma Ward born approx 1832 and Susannah Ward born approx 1834 and baptised on 22/2/1835 (I have only been able to find a batism for the youngest child. Emma I have very little on other than an entry in the 1841 census. Susannah married in  1860 to a Thomas Jeffs and they have children Joseph, Alfred, William and Ernest.

My line of descent is through Joseph, and he married Ann Gibbs on 10/4/1849 in Rugby and they went on to have children, James 1849, Ann 1852, Emma in 1856, Rose Ellen in 1858, Joe in 1859, Alfred 1863, Minnie in 1865, and Kate in 1866. I think it likely that there was also a Betsy born in 1854 but died in 1855 but I am yet to confirm this. Emma is shown as born in Rugby but there is no record of a baptism in Rugby and Rose Ellen is shown as born in Northampton so I assume they moved to back to Northampton around 1857.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 October 22 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

I have looked through the Monumental Inscriptions for Kingsthorpe and can't see any surviving stones for Ward (if there had been any).

Also the 1861 Census saying that Joseph and Ann lived at 202 High Street is not entirely true as there is no such number.  On the front sheet of Enu District 4, although the Enumerator has it noted as such, he has started at the beginning of the village noting the household from 1 starting at Cock Lane, Duck Lane, Hopes Place, Church End, Knights Lane, and then the High Street.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline djw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 23 October 22 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy, thanks for taking the time to check the memorial inscriptions, it’s a shame it didn’t produce anything although I’m not surprised. Most of the relatives graves that I’ve tracked down have been in unmarked graves until we reach the latter half of the 20th century.

That’s interesting to learn there is no 202 High Street. I haven’t got round to trying to track down all of the addresses in the census records yet. You have certainly saved me some trouble in trying to locate an address that doesn’t exist. It’s not a case of it being demolished in the intervening years - just that the enumerator didn’t record the correct house numbers?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 October 22 10:05 BST (UK) »
That’s interesting to learn there is no 202 High Street. I haven’t got round to trying to track down all of the addresses in the census records yet. You have certainly saved me some trouble in trying to locate an address that doesn’t exist. It’s not a case of it being demolished in the intervening years - just that the enumerator didn’t record the correct house numbers?

It's probably somebody looking at the Schedule Number, and thinking it was a house number?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi djw sorry not to have replied earlier. I do not always get an e-mail to say there is a reply to a topic I am on.

The census in 1861 clearly stated Sch 240. Joseph noted as living at 202 High Street as attached.

Sandy .

Census Crown Copyright