Author Topic: Rebecca Louisa HACKNEY  (Read 386 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rebecca Louisa HACKNEY
« on: Friday 21 October 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
Nee TERRINGTON born 19 Nov 1885 in Emneth, NFK, d of Alfred Zacharia & Elizabeth TERRINGTON. She married Leonard HACKNEY on 21 Mar 1906 in St Peter's Church, Wisbech. He died 7 Jan 1942. She next married John W CORNWALL in Wisbech Q4 1952 but was living on her own at 16 Park Street, Wisbech, between 1958/9. She subsequently married Herbert WILSON in Fakenham Q4 1961 and died in King's Lynn Q4 1971.

I have been unable to identify her second husband John W CORNWALL. Can any kind soul offer me any clues as to his identity? Many thanks if you are able to help.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Louisa HACKNEY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 October 22 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Death of a John Cornwall at Kings Lynn registry Dec qtr 1957 age 75 4B 565
Could well be him but he is buried in Sculthorpe and seems to have a wife Ann Naomi.

The only John W Cornwall I can see is a student at Trinity College 1891 age 21 born India.Student of natural sciences.
1955 electoral register John W Cornwall at Silver Trees Wilbraham Road with a Dulcie E Cornwall at Fulbourn.
1950 they were both of Hill Farm. He was born 1908 but again Dulcie is with him 1946-1959.

Sorry

Ciderdrinker

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 22 13:17 BST (UK) »
Using Rebecca's birthyear as a guideline there are only 2 births on freebmd with a second initial W

1883 Liverpool & 1886 Peterborough

GRO Online shows second name was William on both entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 October 22 13:24 BST (UK) »
Check the 1939 register  - we cannot post details here.  The John W who died 1957 was married & his wife only died 1974

Think you may need the 1952 marriage cert
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 22 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both ciderdrinker & Carole W,

Suggestions most welcome but no help in this case for the reasons stated - both possible candidates were already married in 1952. I think Carole W is right - I will have to access the 1952 mc.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 22 15:29 BST (UK) »
Peterborough Standard of 1th November and 18th November1955 reported death and funeral of John Willam Cornwall of 148 Crown Street, New England, with a service at New England Methodist Church and internment at Eastfield Cemetery.
Amongst the many named mourners were Mrs R L Cornwall (widow) Mr F Hackney & Mr K Hackney stepsons

A well-known worker in the Co-operative movement and a Past president of the Peterborough Cooperative Society. Mr. John William Cornwall. 148 Crown-street. died in the Memorial Hospital on Tuesday. He was 69 and had been ill since Cooperative Society for 16 years and had been president for two years when he retired at the age of 65. Mr. Cornwall also served on the Society's Education Committee. from which he retired only a week before his death. Mr. Cornwall was trained as an engineer and during the war was a chargehand with Aublet. Harry and Co.. Westwood. and later with Peter Brotherhood. Ltd. Afterwards he went into business as a timber buyer and wood turner, retiring four years ago. His wife. Mrs. R. L. Cornwall. is also interested in the Coo perative movement and last year was president of the New England Women's Guild ; previously she had been president of the Wisbech Guild for eight ' years. Two daughters. Mrs. P. Skillings and Mrs. D. Rayment. are also left. . . The funeral takes place today Friday. a service at New England Methodist Church at 10.30 being followed by interment at Eastfleld.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 22 16:35 BST (UK) »
Looks like he was the 1886 birth in Peterborough I mentioned above

GRO online shows mmn Casbon.  1880 marriage in Peterborough - John Thomas Cornwall & Mary Casbon  www.freebmd.org.uk

1891 census

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4LXT-8T2

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 22 09:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Dave JONES for the newspaper obituary which provides positive ID of my elusive John William CORNWALL & establishes his birth in Q3 1886 at Peterborough. I am most grateful.

Equal thanks to Carole W for her usual very helpful 'steers' and also to ciderdrinker for his input. A most satisfactory outcome - thanks to you all.