Author Topic: Ethel & George Johnson - Bradford  (Read 846 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Ethel & George Johnson - Bradford
« on: Saturday 22 October 22 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm in search of Ethel and George Johnson. Both Ethel and George were originally from Essex.
Ethel was previously married to Harold Goff. Harold died on 1935 while they were living in the Bradford area. Their daughter, Rita, was grown up and it looks like Ethel returned to Essex. George, had recently lost his wife and due to a newspaper add asking for domestic help and companionship (!) he and Ethel married in 1938.  In 1941, Rita's husband died while in the Royal Navy. It appears the Ethel and George went to Bradford to be with her.  George's family were not happy with the marriage, there was a big fall out and he and Ethel "disappeared". No one knew where they had gone, and it appears there was no further contact.  I've found a possible death for George in 1960 in Bradford and then also for Ethel in 1966.
George was my husbands great grandfather. We would love to know where he is buried and what his life may have been like in Bradford.
As 1960 is still fairly recent, I can't seem to find much online.
Can anyone point me in the direction of any online burial records or would I be best asking at the Archives?
Many thanks
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel & George Johnson - Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 22 21:45 BST (UK) »
Have you already checked www.findagrave.com?

Have you checked if either left a will as the entry will possibly show the actual death date and the address.  This will enable you to contact the records office or find where they were buried.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've looked on Find a Grave, and Billion graves.
I've not been able to find a will for either of them.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 22 22:29 BST (UK) »
I've found a possible death for George in 1960 in Bradford and then also for Ethel in 1966.

I'm not seeing a death for Ethel in the Bradford RD in 1966.  There is a match in the Worth Valley RD
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 22 22:41 BST (UK) »
Is this Ethel?  Ethel Rayner b 1896

Do you mean this death in 1966
Ethel Johnson, July 1966, Worth  Valley

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 22 16:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, Ethel Rayner and also yes, Worth Valley (I miss read my notes when I wrote the post)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 22 17:29 BST (UK) »
So, is the death George W Johnson born abt 1881 and died 1960, Bradford.
That is the only one I can see.

I can’t see how asking the Archives would help at the moment as you don’t know if it is your George.

It would be good to have his death certificate (and Ethel’s) to check the information.
You would get an occupation for him, which would help towards picturing his life in Bradford.
Hopefully, there would be an address to check with electoral registers. You might need the Archives help there to check how long he was at the address.
I can’t see any online registers for 1950s Bradford but someone may know.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 October 22 19:44 BST (UK) »
Daughter Rita E Goff b 1918 married Arthur W Whittaker b 1916.  The marriage was September qtr 1941 & a daughter was b 1942

Rita remarried 1947 in Surrey to Samuel P G Currie & she died 1950 Lambeth

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 15:28 BST (UK) »

So, is the death George W Johnson born abt 1881 and died 1960, Bradford.
That is the only one I can see.

I don't know of this will be helpful there's this newspaper article gives his middle name as Frederick  :-\
George and Ethel are at that address in 1939, George Johnson bn 1881 has initial 'W' for middle name  ???

23 September 1938 - Saffron Walden Weekly News

The marriage of Mr George Frederick Johnson of Gasworks Cottage to Mrs Ethel Goff of Bradford took place at the church Saturday..... the bride was given by Mr Arthur Moore.
She was attended by her sister, Miss Edith Rayner........Mr O Thake was best man.
Following the ceremony a reception was held at the Cock Inn and later Mr & Mrs Johnson left for Clacton. Among the numerous presents was a cheque from Mr K Church (Thaxted Gas Company), the bridegroom's employer.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk