Author Topic: Patrick Balfour  (Read 572 times)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Patrick Balfour
« on: Sunday 23 October 22 01:48 BST (UK) »
I have a Patrick Balfour born out of wedlock to Rosina Balfour on 23 Aug 1867 in Edinburgh. He is the subject of a paternity claim between Rosina and Patrick McGlinchy in 1869 (she was still married to Bernard McKenny at the time by whom she had a legitimate child James who died aged 2). Both Patrick and her other illigitimate daughter Ann are missing from the 1871 census where Rosina is living with Joseph McLachlan who she later marries. In the 1881 census Ann is present but no sign of Patrick. I have searched Scotlandspeople for a death for Patrick but no such record appears either under Balfour or McGlinchy.   Rosina married Joseph McLachlan in 1873 declaring herself to be a Spinster - at this stage she had given birth to a daughter by Joseph in 1872. Any ideas as to where I can maybe find a death record for Patrick?
I found Bernard McKenna's death notice in 1909 stating he was single with the same parents as listed on his marriage to Rosina so perhaps Rosina was a Bigamist or may there have been a divorce?
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Balfour
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 22 03:27 BST (UK) »

" paternity claim between Rosina and Patrick McGLINCHY in 1869 "

What was the outcome of the paternity claim?

"1871 census where Rosina is living with Joseph McLACHLAN who she later marries."

Using Ancestry Census Scotland, 1871, I am not seeing Rosina and Joseph.  What family name is Rosina recorded with?

Can you direct me to the census entry please....address, age for Rosina....age for Joseph.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 22 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi the result of the paternity claim was he had to pay for the child - her erstwhile husband is recorded as well - Edinburgh Sheriff Court Register of Decrees SC39_008_040_1121 Balfour or McKenney v McGlinchy.

She is residing with Joseph McLachlan in 1871 - on Ancestry the census record is incorrectly indexed as Joseph and Emma Mclachlan age 17 - but  looking at the image it is Joseph and Rosina (age 27 not 17) at Leith Wynd in Edinburgh

They marry on 6 Oct 1873 - they are resident in Edinburgh in 1881 with their daughters Jane and Margaret (though Margaret is registered as Elizabeth on her birth) and Rosina's daughter Ann Balfour

In 1891 the family has moved to Greenock and is found on the census under McDonald, Jane marries in 1897  under the surname McLachlan. Her father dies in 1900 under the name Mcdonald (registered by Jane's husband) and her mother dies in 1913 under the name McDonald. Perhaps the name change has something to do with the fact that Rosina was still legally married at the time of her marriage to Joseph

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
She is residing with Joseph McLachlan in 1871 - on Ancestry the census record is incorrectly indexed as Joseph and Emma Mclachlan age 17 - but  looking at the image it is Joseph and Rosina (age 27 not 17) at Leith Wynd in Edinburgh
FindMyPast's transcription lists Joseph, 42 and Rosina, 27.

They are also correctly indexed on Scotland's People. where the original document can be viewed at modest cost.

Census transcriptions on Ancestry are notorious for inaccuracy. It is always necessary to check by viewing the original document.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 22 11:47 BST (UK) »
Yes I did purchase the original hence how I knew it was her.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 22 14:53 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry did you check out this burial ?
Balfour or McHenna Patrick age 2 burial 13 July 1869
Cemetery Calton Edinburgh

Not seeing a death so far on Scotlandspeople  ???

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 October 22 15:08 BST (UK) »
Yes I did purchase the original hence how I knew it was her.
Yes. Just labouring the point about never relying on Ancestry.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.