Author Topic: HMT Robert Bowen sunk 9th October 1940  (Read 1965 times)

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMT Robert Bowen sunk 9th October 1940
« on: Sunday 23 October 22 05:16 BST (UK) »
Amazingly the wreck of HMT Robert Bowen (a converted trawler) has recently been discovered by divers off the Aberdeen coast.
I have a list of the crew and would very much like to contact other descendants, after all these years, if possible. Any suggestions how I could do this would be very helpful.
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HMT Robert Bowen sunk 9th October 1940
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 22 12:00 BST (UK) »
The families of those who died on board the trawler are named here: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?165595 so you could use those details to trace the families forward, perhaps starting with the 1939 Register, using the BMD indexes, electoral registers etc. Most of the crew would appear to have not been from Aberdeen. There's even one crew member from Australia.

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 22 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy and thank you for your very prompt reply.
To be fair I am already in touch with the Hopkin and Turrell descendants and my father was Arthur Stanley Wilson (the Australian but living in the UK!).
I shall certainly get onto that link you have sent me and am very appreciative.
In the past I had contact with Seaweed but it looks as if he is no longer of this world (I hope I have misunderstood the line under his name).
Again many thanks and take care
Sasha
Barnett, Cousins, Flett, Foot, Foote, Fox, Graves, Grunnah, Rackstraw, Shipley, Vinter, Wasko, Wilson

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 October 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
I had contact with Seaweed but it looks as if he is no longer of this world (I hope I have misunderstood the line under his name).
Yes, sadly he died in August 2022.

Offline VillageDuckpond

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 22 12:25 BST (UK) »
I had contact with Seaweed but it looks as if he is no longer of this world (I hope I have misunderstood the line under his name).
How very sad
Sasha