Author Topic: John Gibbons Grenadier 100th regiment Montreal Canada  (Read 1965 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gibbons Grenadier 100th regiment Montreal Canada
« on: Sunday 23 October 22 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage that indicates John Gibbons, born about 1787 in unknown location was reported as serving as Grenadier Montreal Canada.

The same name appears in regimental records but not "100th regiment".  Perhaps I am reding this incorrectly.  Image attached.  His spouse was Mary Collins, birth about 1789.

At time of his daughter Mary Ann Gibbon's baptism 5 Sep 1816 in Montréal, John Gibbons is reported as deceased and was a soldier in 99th regiment.

Regimental records do not mention 100th regiment or 99th regiment so possibly unrelated. 

Would 99th and 100th regiments be part of a larger unit that would be the holder of records? I understand that changes by the War Office on February 23rd, 1816 resulted in the 100th Regiment becoming the 99th Regiment

I have found no death record that is anyway close to John Gibbons.  I thought there might be something there are British military seems to keep rather good records.

Wondering if there is a source I am missing that could guide me further.

Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Gibbons Grenadier 100th regiment Montreal Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 October 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
The Muster Books and Pay Lists for the 100th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment) exist in the British National Archives in the Series WO14/9848 - 9853 for the period 1805 - 1818 which will probably cover the majority of John Gibbons's service. Unfortunately these records haven't yet been digitzed so that means a personal visit to TNA or employing someone to search them on your behalf. I understand that FindMyPast have digitized some muster rolls but they haven't got around to the 99th/100th Foot yet. And you are right that the 100th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment)  did become the 99th Foot in February 1816.
I haven't been able to find anything for John Gibbons under either of those Regiments.

"In February 1816 the regiment was renumbered as the 99th Regiment of Foot (Prince Regent's County of Dublin Regiment), then withdrawn to England in 1818 to be disbanded at Chatham. As the Napoleonic Wars ended, England was faced with thousands of returning soldiers. Rather than having them all return to England and Ireland, many of soldiers of the 100th Foot were offered and accepted land-grants in Upper Canada. The largest settlement from the 100th Foot was in Richmond, Ontario. The largest settlement from the 100th Foot was in Richmond, Ontario. The transport Hussaren arrived at Quebec from Cowes on 31 May with 124 officers and men of the 76th and 99th Regiments of Foot."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100th_Regiment_of_Foot_(Prince_Regent%27s_County_of_Dublin_Regiment)

http://recreated.100thregiment.org/index.php/about1/history

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 October 22 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information.

More digging for sure.
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Will2b

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
There are usually the names of several witnesses that appear next too the entry. Those names were often fellow soldier and I have seen where they were all from the same regiment. A better image of the whole page would help.

William