Author Topic: Multiple names!!  (Read 573 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Multiple names!!
« on: Monday 24 October 22 09:47 BST (UK) »
I have found a photograph of my Great Grandmother in a criminal register. Under it there are four different surnames for her I am aware of three of the names as her maiden name her married name (she was a widow) and the name of her partner ( my grandfathers father) at the time of her arrest but the fourth name is a total mystery and was the one she was charged under. (From the newspaper item about her crime. The first name under the photo was not this one.) As all the namesare with the photo there must be a record showing how they were known. How can I find any other documentation about her record ?
Can anyone suggest how I can find out about the mysterious fourth name?
At the time of her arrest my grandfather was 15 months old how can I find out what happened to him? A few years later his mother died in the workhouse and he went  into a cottage home.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple names!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 22 16:50 BST (UK) »
There might be other newspaper reports on her court appearance(s).

Was this in England? There are criminal registers online on Ancestry and FindMyPast, I believe.

Maybe those types of records might give some clues as to her fourth name? (In addition to what you've found?)

Edited to add: The last paragraph isn't clear. I meant to say, if you've found the criminal register on one site, perhaps there are other ones available on the other site, if you haven't already found those as well (if they exist). (Clear as mud. Sorry. I need more tea.)
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 22 18:59 BST (UK) »
English Breakfast or  Darjeeling ?
Many thanks good ideas I searched Newspapers with each name in turn no further hits though I have also put all four names in turn on FindMyPast and An...try no  further joy. I think I'll  try to find her last child (Ben) with her husband. on school records using his real name and the fourth name. His father died in 1883 and grand dad was born in 1887 so she possibly knew another man between the two I know about Ben would have started school in the gap.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 20:37 BST (UK) »
Good luck! I hope you find the answer to the mystery!
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters