Author Topic: Old Printer; Old Word document but New PDF instructions  (Read 609 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Printer; Old Word document but New PDF instructions
« on: Monday 24 October 22 21:47 BST (UK) »
This last hour hasn't been much fun as I've struggled to use my old HP copying Machine that is churning out blanks.... instead of a copy image of an ancestor.

Additionally, I've written a letter on a Word document and now I want to print it off but something is instructing me to print it under a PDF Creator 1.7.3. and the instructions are so small that I can't read it.  Does anyone have a suggestion to return the simple instructions of "press print document"

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Old Printer; Old Word document but New PDF instructions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 22 22:08 BST (UK) »
Sounds like it is trying to print to pdf.
When you click print, do you get a drop down menu beside the name of your printer, or is Print to pdf selected?
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
Sounds like it is trying to print to pdf.
When you click print, do you get a drop down menu beside the name of your printer, or is Print to pdf selected?

something drops down but the printing is so small I can't read it with my specs on plus the use of a magnifying glass !

It won't close despite me clicking on "close" and "cancel"
it just keeps popping up again.

Hmmm - I've just clicked onto another screen and seen that "Mr Nobody" has changed my preferences.   Don't ask me how - but I'm now back on Microsoft Word and can now close the darned determined drop down notices.

Thank you so much for stopping to help.   

It's much appreciated.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:04 GMT (UK) »
The main printer settings in Win10 & Win11 are under the Settings pages, but older apps often stick with the "old" version, under "Windows System", "Control Panel", "Devices and Printers".

Right-click your favourite printer in that list and select "Set as default".

You may need to restart the program to get it to look afresh at your needs.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 22 12:27 GMT (UK) »
The main printer settings in Win10 & Win11 are under the Settings pages, but older apps often stick with the "old" version, under "Windows System", "Control Panel", "Devices and Printers".

Right-click your favourite printer in that list and select "Set as default".

You may need to restart the program to get it to look afresh at your needs.

Thanks for stopping by.

You're right I did look for the printer under the headings that they used to be but it wasn't there. 

When I was younger I didn't mind change - these days I wish they would stop changing things.