Author Topic: Whats the name?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the name?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 00:02 BST (UK) »
Looks like Tabil, Sabil or Jabil to me.
There are Tabils in Warwickshire

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 06:37 BST (UK) »
Possibly Dalziel.

I think I read somewhere that the z is silent?

Possibly written as it was heard and the z omitted?

There seem to be a couple of families of that name in the area.

The woman looks at least into her 30's to me.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
Trying to think outside the box - could it be Dobie or Davie?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 10:24 BST (UK) »
TALMIE / TALLIE ?

I don't think it's a "b" in the middle, but I could well be wrong!

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
Could the first letter be a T, like others have mentioned?  If you try to recreate the letter, starting with a downward stroke, to me, it flows naturally and appears to be a fancy T.  Perhaps it has that weird little “wing” at the end to balance out the letter?

Added: the writer added little flourishes to all of the capital letters.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 11:41 BST (UK) »
I thought if I could find W. J. Wright’s writing if we were lucky it might include enough letters that we could figure out the lady’s name.

Unfortunately (providing that I found the correct man in 1911), the writing on the census form doesn’t appear to be a match to the writing on the photograph.  Providing his details, in case anyone wants to view the image:
William James Wright, Photographer.  Born c1864, Isle of Wight.
1911 North Croyden, Surrey census

I also checked a couple of family trees (Anc*try), hoping for more samples of his writing, but his signature on his childrens’ marriage certificates appears to match the 1911 census.  There were no images in those family tree “galleries” (I was hoping to see a couple of his photographs with the same style of writing as the writing found in this post).  ;)

So much for my thinking outside the box.  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 16:39 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to go for Tabil.  Attached is the name in a different shade.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 17:32 BST (UK) »
Could it be spelled phonetically, and thus a slight misspelling?

The 1901 census has an Emmeline De Bil, age 17, in Temperley Road, Balham (RG13/475 fo83 p39) - that's not a million miles from Upper Norwood.

The De Bil family consists of parents and two daughters, all of whom are French, and the father is a language teacher. It made me wonder - might the photographer have visited schools and set up a temporary studio to capture all the pupils?

If I'm right and this is Emmeline she'd be about 15-16, which I think may be possible.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions and research, it is very much appreciated. There's certainly some leads to follow up on. I imagine that the name was written on the card by one of W. J. Wrights assistants and not a family member (a family member is less likely to use Miss), but what I'm not sure of is whether this photo was owned by the sitter or whether it was kept by W.J. Wright as a reference for it further prints were required. If it was owned by the sitter than I would think it's more likely that the name would have been corrected if misspelt. Definitely further research is needed as I'm very intrigued to find out more about this person.
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA