Author Topic: Naughton/ Broderick families from tynagh Galway  (Read 2315 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naughton/ Broderick families from tynagh Galway
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone. I thought they may just be out of order as often happens but the transcription was right. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Naughton-291
This states Edward Naughton's father was Anthony. Source is Edward's death certificate.
Edward's first son was Anthony (1822) + another Anthony (1830).
There are baptism registers from 1816 for Tynagh. They may contain baptisms of younger children of Anthony.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0339
Cowban

Offline MacOisdealbh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 January 23 22:00 GMT (UK) »
IrishGeneoogy site, civilrecords.irishgeneology.ie  is excellent for research in any area of Ireland i have found. Use Civil Records section.  Tynagh has a seperate set of books as well, someone above mentioned that. The latin and writng is hard to decipher sometimes, but if you plug away long enough you start to get a rythym. I have hockey or soccer on while i stroll through dates, the the Gen site gets you dates to check,  and then go to the parish books on line to fill out and confirm the details.
need to know general and or specific area that you ancestors hail from.
Costelloe, Whelan, Sheil,  Donohoe, Dwyer, Flanagan, Fahy, Hickey,East Galway:
 Graham, Williamson, Carmichael; Armagh
 Boyne, Russell, Kearns, Moore, Carty,  Dublin 2, Trinity Ward, Westland Row

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 January 23 07:46 GMT (UK) »

IrishGeneoogy site, civilrecords.irishgeneology.ie  is excellent for research in any area of Ireland i have found. Use Civil Records section. 

Indeed it is, and it's free.
Here's the link to the search page-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Tynagh has a seperate set of books as well, someone above mentioned that.

Yes, Maiden Stone in reply #2 has given the link to the Tynagh RC registers.

Here's a snip of Tynagh RC parish and its surrounding RC parishes.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MacOisdealbh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 January 23 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Leitrim is my Dads area, and the Hickeys and Donahoes in our family tree are from Shangarry and Carramore, beside or possibly in Tynagh. The early parish book lists have 10 or twelve adults from each family in the parish at the same time  it seems, and the IE site shows that as well. The famine really did empty that part of East Galway,  as areas such as Marble Hill, the Burkes HQ,  and Lord Clonbrocks Estates closed down, and by 1911 census only a few of each family were still working their land. Also noticed the people not born during the industrial age, say from 1860's and prior, seemed to live longer than the those after 1870's. At least in most of my 6 families i have researched. Probably a Thesis or three in those records, and the records for Tynagh and Letrim have gaps from 1839 to 1855, Famine, or in Irish,  An Gortan More,  years mostly. Not sure why the records are missing, big gap for my research. And we were never allowed to say the P word before Famine growing up in Canada, there was quite a lot of other food available.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »

....Famine, or in Irish,  An Gortan More.... 

Irish-  An Gorta Mór

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01s48/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MacOisdealbh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 23 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Maiden Stone, possible remnant of Edward is a birth in May 25 1866 of an Edward Naughton , mother Mary, father was a Joseph Costillo, a militiaman in Loughrea town, and Mary having her own name on this birth cert  would imply they were not married.
A Sabina Naughton married in 1865 to a Michael Gill  has a father Edward Naughton , servant,  also of Loughrea town.
Ellen Naughton married in 1868 has a father , also Edward, but listed as a herdsman, also from Loughrea. so two Edwards may imply relatives of your Original Edward. No Anthonys found on my first searches.
63 search results for Naughton  from 1860 to 1890, I would search for matching names first then compare residence to Maps of Tynagh, cross ref with the Babtisms records for Tynagh as well.